W210, out with the old in with the new...stereo? Well hopefully...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wd40

Hi all

I am picking up my 2000 plate W210 E320 CDI Elegance on Friday.

I didn't pay too much attention to the stereo in it as I was always planning on swapping the head unit for the JVC DVD player I have currently in my Subaru.

I have searched the first 30 odd pages on this forum and not really found anything conclusive as to what I will need to buy to install the JVC.

It has standard ISO on the back of it.

The W210 seemed to have an audio 10 unit in it (Racio cassette with a 6 cd changer in the boot) from what I remember and have read on this forum.

I'm hoping removal of the head unit won't prove too troublesome, my dad has keys for his W211 and if not them then the nail files :) and I'll leave the CD unit in place but won't be using it.

I have looked on the autoleads site, but cannot find anything specific for a part number for an adapter harness if one is needed to connect the W210 wiring to the JVC.

Can anyone advise, and, is there any generic adaptor for the steering wheel controls ?

Thanks for any help.

I fitted a JVC head unit into our 1999 210 last week, the car's standard loom terminated in an ISO block - the whole job took about 2 minutes but we had no steering wheel controls to contend with :)

The 2000 model W210 has ignition, illumination and speed pulse over can bus, however....

You can splice into the ciggy lighter for the 12v switched and the illumination (either of the wires going into the light work).
The speed pulse (if you want speed dependant volume or have nav) is down in the sill on the passenger side, it is green/black and is loose, there are hundreds of wires there but it is in there.

The connector is a standard iso block, I used a VW adapter so I could add the illumination and speed pulse wire to it (these bare wires are available at any VW/Audi dealer and cost pence) without messing with the oem connector at all.

cheers fellas.

I'll give that some thought.

The connector is a standard iso block, I used a VW adapter so I could add the illumination and speed pulse wire to it (these bare wires are available at any VW/Audi dealer and cost pence) without messing with the oem connector at all.

gIzzE,

When you say you used a VW adapter, what do you mean?

Do you mean on of the wiring loom adapters like autoleads?

If the E320 has a standard ISO connector, that will plug directly into my JVC adapter lead that I had for my Subaru I guess.

I can then take a feed from the cig lighter and split it, one for the illumination and one for the 12v switched.

Am I right in thinking that the standard ISO block still takes a permanent live from the loow to the headunit for memory settings etc ?

Now I just need to find an easy way into the glovebox for my Ipod adapter lead and ipod.

Thanks for your help.

I added the VW adapter (yeah it is standard iso) so I could add the 12v permenant and illumination to that rather than messing around with the car harness.

It was only £6 from Halfords, plus it has 12v switched and illumination in it which the factory harness does not, so I cut it an attached that to the lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom