W210 - Pattern Lower Wishbones?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vinylwasp

Car
1997 W210 AMG E36
Has anyone had any experience with pattern lower wish bones on thier W210?

I'm guessing the downside will be larger tolerances which will affect alignment and handling, lighter materials and weaker bushing material affecting wear and handling. Or am I wrong?

I've been quoted £124.ea new ones from MB, £148 (less 25%) from ECP and have seen these Q1 wishbones on eBay from a dealer in Germany for £67.ea including combined shipping. TRACK CONTROL ARM MERCEDES BENZ W210 S210 E-CLASS FRONT LOWER RIGHT RH | eBay

That's basically half price and a very tempting saving.

Any views, horror stories or happy endings?

Has anyone had any experience with pattern lower wish bones on thier W210?

I'm guessing the downside will be larger tolerances which will affect alignment and handling, lighter materials and weaker bushing material affecting wear and handling. Or am I wrong?

I've been quoted £124.ea new ones from MB, £148 (less 25%) from ECP and have seen these Q1 wishbones on eBay from a dealer in Germany for £67.ea including combined shipping. TRACK CONTROL ARM MERCEDES BENZ W210 S210 E-CLASS FRONT LOWER RIGHT RH | eBay

That's basically half price and a very tempting saving.

Any views, horror stories or happy endings?

We list 2 parts (using the ATP xref)

the first is the aftermarket quality -

Q-Drive Suspension Arm
Part Number: 616220140
Web Price: £75.60
Forum Price: £52.94 [using MBCLUB30]
Q-Drive - Euro Car Parts UK
616220140.jpg

the second is original quality

Lemforder Suspension Arm
Part No.: 616220145
Web Price: £142.80
Forum Price: £99.96 [using MBCLUB30 code]
Lemforder - Euro Car Parts UK
616220145.jpg

The Q-Drive range is excellent for customers who are price sensitive, however there is no getting away from the fact that Lemforder make the original part, and that the quality is second to none.

We stock both qualities, to cater for both markets, however most members will recommend sticking to OE quality on this! (however if you want to go for an after market one, atleast now you can buy from ECP and not eBay so no worries about returns :) )

patrick

LEMFORDER no question. Failure of the front suspension arm is a big accident waiting to happen. It's not a component I would skimp on.

I doubt the cheaper one would fail dramatically...just , probably, not last as long as the Lemforder.

Lemforder are great quality parts. I would not use the Q drive arm to hold a door open.

Thanks Patrick

Thanks again Patrick, you saw the long list of parts I need in the parts thread, and I've just taken her into a local prestige panel beater today to get a quote for 2 new wings and a bonnnet and some general touch ups here and there, so I'm looking at some serious money in the next 6 months and every penny helps.

She's a big heavy car and those 245/40's place even greater stress on the steering and suspension, so I'll guess I'll be going with the Lemforders.

We list 2 parts (using the ATP xref)
the first is the aftermarket quality -

Q-Drive Suspension Arm
Part Number: 616220140
Web Price: £75.60
Forum Price: £52.94 [using MBCLUB30]
Q-Drive - Euro Car Parts UK
616220140.jpg

the second is original quality

Lemforder Suspension Arm
Part No.: 616220145
Web Price: £142.80
Forum Price: £99.96 [using MBCLUB30 code]
Lemforder - Euro Car Parts UK
616220145.jpg

The Q-Drive range is excellent for customers who are price sensitive, however there is no getting away from the fact that Lemforder make the original part, and that the quality is second to none.
patrick

A replacement bush kit is available from MB, but fitting them in your old wishbones is a ballache job. :(

I've been quoted £124.ea new ones from MB, £148 (less 25%) from ECP and have seen these Q1 wishbones on eBay from a dealer in Germany for £67.ea including combined shipping.

If real ones are £124, why buy copy ones for £148 or risk the cheepo ones at £67?

If real ones are £124, why buy copy ones for £148 or risk the cheepo ones at £67?

Hi Nick,

We list 2 options to cater for both customers - there are still alot of customers who want the cheapest part available - rather than loose their business this is where the value brands are excellent!

The Lemforder ones are £148 - However your forgetting the 30% discount! Which brings them down to £99 and some pennies!

As your aware, there is a 75% chance that the part from MB is made by Lemforder, therefore its £25 less than the dealer for the same part :thumb:

Having had a lot of suspension work done on the S210, I've been told that fitting a new wishbone (c/w bushes)is easier and hence cheaper in labour than fitting new bushes to the old one. Seeing as the geometry is critical, it really has to be the original fitments then, doesn't it.

I'm in a similar boat.

Hi folks, I know this is an old thread now, but I'm hoping some of you have rectified your issues. I have to replace the front wishbone bushes both sides on my w210 320. A few garages have said they can't do it because they need special tools...so I have been pointed towards Europa in Sheffield, big shiny indie. £227 each side they say. So to try to bring costs down could I just buy the whole wishbone for each side? does that come with the bushes in? I gather I would also need new ball joints too :mad::mad:.
Appreciate suggestions, ta.

Replacing suspension bushes and ball joints is labour intensive and also runs the risk of damaging the parts if the correct fitting procedure and tools are not used. Best to buy new arms with these fitted during manufacture imho. May not be much in it cost wise when you factor in the extra labour. Price it out- PARTS AND LABOUR TOTAL for both approaches.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Well there is a the mention above of selling the whole arms for £99, and then I could take it to a different indie who only charges £35 p/h labour. So this seems a better option. Would I then need four wheel alignment doing?

Sorry I just noticed..So they come with the ball joints fitted already then?

Ahh I see now, either way the ball joints just bolt on. I will go ask the local indie if he is capable of fitting the whole wishbones if i buy them.

Yay. A solution. Moral of the story: Don't get new bushes, just get the new wishbones.

Indie says 1 1/2 hours each side yes. Unfortunately, Eurocarparts only has one side on the website, meaning I could only use the discount code for one, so will have to find someone else who can match the prices of £99.

Indie says 1 1/2 hours each side yes. Unfortunately, Eurocarparts only has one side on the website, meaning I could only use the discount code for one, so will have to find someone else who can match the prices of £99.

We will stock them both - let me know your reg and ill find the other part number for you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom