W210 Radiator Speared by Rebar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard_sw11

Car
W212 E350 CDI Estate
On Saturday I suddenly found my self driving my W210 with a 1 metre long piece of steel reinforcing bar wedged in the front of the car (A4 Eastbound at Chiswick). After I managed to stop and pull over I found that the radiator has been damaged, but not punctured. I am attaching a picture. Is this something I can live with (it is a 1999 model), or do I need to get it replace/repaired?

Unsurpirisngly MB Chelsea were no use when I went to see them on Saturday. They appeared have only one mechanic on duty and queried whether I woudl want to wait indefinitely for the off chance of seeing him...

Attachments

• L1010434 new.jpg
    L1010434 new.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 155
That looks like the air-con condenser and definitely looks finished.

Thanks. I guess that is good news in that I can still drive it, bad news in that I will have to shell out to replace it.

Where did the bar come from? Was it thrown at you?

Last edited:
Thank Heavens the bar wasn't through the front screen !!

Chiswick not that exciting at 7.20 am on a Saturday! I suspect the bar had fallen of the back of a builders truck. It was bent and bounced up when the car in front of me ran over it I guess.

I am off to see the insurance assessor now...

Years ago i ran over a back garden bench in the overtaking lane on a dual carriageway:eek: luckily i was in my disco and the bench was a round steel tube construction with thin planks, it practically blew to pieces as i ran over it.

Condensor rad is less than a £100 plus a regass, may be better to pay for it yourself unless loads of other damage.

Not hard to change did mine on the drive at home.

Quick google reveals
http://www.automotive-air-conditioning-vehicle-parts.com/air-conditioning-condensers-results.aspx?models-for=MERCEDES&Model=E%20CLASS%20(W210)&part=Condensers

Loads of hits one i used was in London but now cant find it, but roughly same prices and fast delivery.

Lynall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom