W210 Recon steering rack fitted now getting frequent ! Warning indicator flashing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UKAltus

Car
W210 300DT
So my E300TD had a seal fail on the steering rack. With the help of my neighbour we removed the faulty rack and sent it for refurb. Today we got it back and refitted it to the car. I know the tracking is out at the moment and I'll be taking it in tomorrow to have that corrected but in the meantime on a quick test drive I've found the traction / engine warning light flashing when going up hill or round a roundabout. The car loses all power and seems to go into limp home mode.

So I'm now unsure what the issue could be. We did have to repair the electrical lead that plugs into the steering rack unit as it got snagged when dropping the old rack out so we soldered and resealed the cable could this cause occasional limp home mode if the connection isn't perfect?

Also the car has been sat on axle stands for about 6 weeks whilst I got round to removing the rack and sending it off for refurbishment.

Anyone got any ideas where to start with diagnosing the cause?

Hi,
When you refitted the steering rack did it get fitted back in exactly the same orientation to the column/steering wheel?.

We found center of the rack and had the steering wheel at center from when we took the rack off. The plastic cover (which is around the steering rack splined shaft)with the plastic blade aligned and slotted into the steering coupling ok. Slid in 2-3 cm's into the steering coupling before we locked it in place with the coupling bolt.

Also to note is the battery was very low with the battery warning light coming on when we first started it. I notice some forums seem to suggest low battery could also cause limp mode to be engaged?

Turn the steering fully one way then the other to reset the steering angle sensor. If that doesn't work get the alignment done and check the wiring that you fixed.

I think the steering angle sensor shows up as an BAS/ABS/EBS fault as when I first got the car the tracking was way out and the wheel was constantly at a 35% angle when driving straight. Its the loss of power that baffles me this time.

Are there likely to be two sensors one in the rack and one on the steering wheel shaft before the union joint? As the steering wheel is about 10 degrees off so I assume we were a couple of teeth out when we put the rack back in.

Should also make it clear that the loss of power is only temporary whilst the ! light is flashing. Once it settles down usually a few seconds - full power and kick down performance returns as normal.

The ECU is sensing wheel slippage so is reducing power output. Check the ABS sensors, reluctor rings and leads.

Thanks Dieselman. One of my tires is fairly low on tread on one edge so it might be that wheel is actually slipping easily as the tracking is out. Hopefully getting the tracking done tomorrow will tidy things up and confirm thats the problem.

So I took it into the laser alignment guys in town to get 4 wheel tracking done. And warning light came on driving to the center but since alignment has been done the traction warning light hasn't come on since. So fingers are crossed that the poor wheel alignment was the root cause and causing some of the sensors to throw a wobbly.

Wife is keen for me to sell the car quick before anything else goes wrong although I keep thinking surely there can't be much more to go wrong.

The benefit of car troubles has been that the wife allowed me to get a Motorbike. as she had said NO for the last 12 years we've been married. Although I'll be glad to have the merc ready and waiting on the drive when the snow/ice arrives.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom