W210 ride and wheels - update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
As reported before, my 02 W210 E320 cdi is elegance spec but with sports suspension. The latter, while very effective for such a big car, suffers too much (for my tolerance anyway) from a tendency to crash over bumps and road imperfections, with the fitted 17 inch wheels with Michelin PS3s on. So having tried 16s loaned to me by the ever-helpful Trapperjohn, I decided that to get the car to my taste I was going to have to downsize to 16s (we tried 15s but they wouldn't fit over the front calipers).

After much umming and aahing I decided to stick to original Elegance spec 16 inch Algenibs (below) and fitted Conti Winter contacts as I knew they were good riders from my W124.

Visually the result is fine

algenib16slarge.jpg

algenib16scloseup.jpg

With the lowered suspension they still fill the wheelarches ok.

Ride is now significantly better - only vertical creases make the suspension crash, that extra rubber (both from new tyres and from deeper sidewalls) is really damping the harshness well (not totally but enough).

Having driven smoothly yesterday I decided to see if the handling and roadholding had been affected. Car still tracks through bends very well, through tight roundabouts and corners it can maintain a very comfortable speed, handling remains sharp. It is still an old bus without a great degree of feel or weight to the steering, a contemporary sports suspended Benz will outpoint it totally, but there has been no degradation in performance of any meaningful amount.

Altogether I am now much happier with it. Add in rip-roaring torque from the 320cdi and decent economy and it remains a brilliant load lugging long distance car. Hopefully the next 14000 miles (passed that milestone today after 7 months) will be just a bit more comfortable.

Charles, so I can compare with mine, what is the distance from wheel centre to the top of the arch...front and rear. TIA.

Looks fine...but I prefer the AG wheels that were standard at the time.

Allowing for poor measuring conditions and the angle of reading from above, 34.5cm front, and 35.8 cm rear.

Do you mean these or these wheels, R12ts? (the latter photo of 15s for some reason no 16s).

I agree with you Charles I have the same car but an ********** with sports suspension and 17" wheels and 245/45/ tyres and with the state of the roads at the moment every pot hole I go over feels like the suspension is about to collapse. I had the sub frame bushes replaced before I went on my European tour in August and that made things a little better (as it would) but I still lose some of my fillings when I go over a pot hole.

I agree with you Charles I have the same car but an ********** with sports suspension and 17" wheels and 245/45/ tyres and with the state of the roads at the moment every pot hole I go over feels like the suspension is about to collapse. I had the sub frame bushes replaced before I went on my European tour in August and that made things a little better (as it would) but I still lose some of my fillings when I go over a pot hole.
Whats all that about asterixing the model of my car out is it a dirty word :confused: its the next one on from elegance !

I'm struggling to think how you might have got Avantgarde wrong in such a way to trigger the nanny filter, but I agree with your every word. My bushes (now why doesn't the singular get picked up?) are all fine, I thought it might be the spheres but Olly thought not, so back to the sad reality that ride quality keeps worsening as suspension gets sportier and wheels bigger. I would love to run on 15s, nice and comfortable, and cheap tyres too.

I'm struggling to think how you might have got Avantgarde wrong in such a way to trigger the nanny filter, but I agree with your every word. My bushes (now why doesn't the singular get picked up?) are all fine, I thought it might be the spheres but Olly thought not, so back to the sad reality that ride quality keeps worsening as suspension gets sportier and wheels bigger. I would love to run on 15s, nice and comfortable, and cheap tyres too.
I added a u after the g that is all. In my other car ( Galaxy) I have put winter tyres on with a 16" rim instead of 17" and higher profile tyres if you know what I mean, and the ride has altered drastically. So much so that my regular clients have asked if I have sofened the suspension in some way. The only downside now is tyre noise because of the more aggresive tread pattern.I know I can always turn the radio up !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom