W210 Right hand Headlight Resistor problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theresetbutton

Car
1999 W210 E240
Seems to be one problem that people fix... and dont write about.

My 99 E240's Right hand, Low beam headlights (the one that has two bulbs, and has the resistor integrated into it) doesnt want to work, unless I remove it.. then the right hand centre lights are in high beam mode.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening, one side at a time? I've seen people complain about it either the left hand, or right hand, but always the same problem. Is this some sort of grounding issue? Carsoft doesnt report any errors, at least relating to lights (I have a D2B, relating to not having a 6 stacker anymore).

Some other forums dont seem to want to tell me their secrets.... Does anyone know? What tests should I do?

Yes...check the earth behind the lamp...they rust and fall off.

I found this under the airbox, right next to the right hand headlight... is this what your talking about? just wire brush it? Never had to deal with rust, as I'm in australia. any quick test I can do to test it, also do you know of anyone on the net who sells the resistors for this?

ground-vdsqe.jpg

Ok, quick update, I used a little wd40 to clean up the rust, plus a wire brush. afterwards, I used some battery grease inbetween the clips and the ground... I have two wiring harnesses, which came in handy today cause the new one I fiddle with, the wire connecting directly to the resistor, broke. So I got out the old frayed one... the small inner bulb works, but the H7 refuses to fire up. Case of not enough current? any other tips that might help? (btw, carsoft, not sds... just in case your going to ask)

Another quick update, seems to be connected to fuse 3 in the headlight switch, the fuses when you open the drivers door. Swapped over fuses 4 and 3 (3 is Right parking/ tail lamp, 4 is left side) and it made no difference. is this a problem with the headlight switch?? starting to run out of options :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom