W210 Rust [at the risk of being boring]

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by ShinyF1, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ShinyF1

ShinyF1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
    Just cleaned the green hearse and on close inspection, can see that the 3 of 4 wheel arches - with a strong suspicion about the 4th - have succumbed to the dreaded rot on the inside lip. And I thought I had a fairly clean example...

It just shows that rust on these is not a matter of 'IF' but 'WHEN'. Will pop along to my local MB Bodyshop and will report back on progress. Mine is 8.5 years young now so I don't hold out too much hope.

It has been to Purslow Guildford twice for rear tailgate and rear door tops who have been perfectly helpful with no fuss - should I stick with them or try my local, MB Chelsea? Anyone have any experience of MB Chelsea?

Thanks

Sean

2. OP
    OP
    ShinyF1

ShinyF1 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
    Took car to Purslow who have called back today saying that MB will pay for 48% of the repairs leaving me to pay £450+VAT - car older than 8 years hence not fully paid.

3. peterg1965

peterg1965 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW F15 X5 40d, BMW 335d M Sport
    I had a similar result, MB wanted a 45% contribution for my repairs (£800 + VAT). My car is now booked into a local bodyshop to have both rear arches attended to for £260+VAT!

4. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    If I could prove the rust was going from the inside... out, and I had complied with all the terms and conditions of mobilo, I wouldbe demanding they dealwith this issue as per their warranty :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. Spoonman

Spoonman Member

Car:
    W202 C180
    I have the same problem only more progressed (being a 93 car, its no suprise) but owning a much much cheaper car means Im gonna try and see what results I can get doing the work myself, if I screw it up then I'll get a bodyshop involved.