W210 rust issues solvable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kokipopi69

Car
W211
Hello guys,

I don’t own the w210 as of yet. I really like that generation and would like to buy one. The thing stopping me is all of them have rusting issues due to the paint used in production.

I was wondering if I bough one that has minimal rust, would it be possible to solve the rusting issues by stripping all factory paint and repainting it with higher quality more modern paint? Maybe there is some product to help seal the metal before painting?

Later cars were dipped and less rust prone so try to get a 2000-2002. What you're suggesting is a lot of work but if you can find a rust free car and use cavity wax sealer, it will probably be fine. Especially if you don't drive it in the winter.

AFAIK It was not about dipping but problems in liquid change interval... there were dirt residuals which were left under paint and thats why these rusted even middle of roof..

I owned 2001 model and have to say it rusted faster than I could try to stop it... door sheet metal structure has double sheet bent style trimming and when rust get between layers there is nothing you can do... except cut all away and weld new steel... side skirts and door lists are rubbing paint away and it starts rusting, jacking points under the car are visible and rust hits to around the rubber pad... front spring lower support rusts if wheel well is not protected by dinitrol or similar stuff... wheel arcs, tail gate around the key hole and licence plate lights.... you name it...

From memory, MB cars were galvanised from Q2 2003. This does not mean they are all rust-free, but they are far less prone to rusting.

I had two Alfas back in the 70s/80s... Personally I would never ever again touch a rusty car with a barge pole. It's a very expensive and time-consuming battle which you are unlkely to win.

That said, this is in part because I like my cars to be as near-perfect as possible. Some people don't mind driving around in a rust bucket, as long as the car passes its MOT. In which case it's fine.

But buying a rusty car with the view of fixing it is a non-startet for me (Classic cars excluded).

In addition to paint problems there were rumours of the use of poor quality steel [Russian alledgedly] during the Jürgen Erich Schrempp era

If you found a mint, low mileage / garaged W210 you could certainly prevent structural rot by coating the underside with something. General cosmetic bubbling might be harder to fight - ceramic coating?

The paint on W210’s is terrible - thin and chips easily. Metal not galvanised. I don’t believe the inferior steel and other theories.

Hello guys,

I don’t own the w210 as of yet. I really like that generation and would like to buy one. The thing stopping me is all of them have rusting issues due to the paint used in production.

I was wondering if I bough one that has minimal rust, would it be possible to solve the rusting issues by stripping all factory paint and repainting it with higher quality more modern paint? Maybe there is some product to help seal the metal before painting?
If you are willing to spend £6-10K on a bare metal respray then i suppose it is possible. A lot of man hours to do a repaint like that.

You could always, as you suggest, get a minimal rust example (look on gov.uk mot history and reject all cars that have rust mentioned) and then use good products on the underside and inject the cavities.

You sometimes find Japanese imports for sale which should be rust free (no road salt) and would be a good starting point, but they will be more expensive than a uk car.

Now is the time to get one as they are as cheap as they will ever be and imho are great big old Mercedes. The 320cdi om 613 is a lovely powerful engine.

Man seems like I would have to baby the car and use it only during summer time. It’s such a shame. To me this is a perfect mercedes. I don’t really mind stripping the car to bare metal and repainting it. Though as someone mentioned if the steel itself is of poor quality... hmm maybe I should rethink it.

If you don't mind doing the work then go for it. I had a solid white non metallic w210 and it didn't rust as bad as metallic coloured ones I used to see. I read the non metallic ones did tend to rust less so could give you a better base to start with.

If you buy a car with rust and decide to fix it, rust will come back quicker than the death itself.
MB did on purpose build inferior cars during that era of cutbacks trying to save a buck on famous MB quality.
Wonder how many MB owners they lost for life making bad cars?

Strip it back to it's shell, soda blast it or acid bath,there won't be much left.A lost cause I feel.

Reactions: 219
I know it’s been said many times before but it still astounds me that Mercedes let their quality drop so much on the late nineties. What the hell were they thinking? I get the concept of reducing costs through cheaper switch gear etc etc but cutting back on rust proofing and structural materials? Baffling policy!

I must have been lucky with my s210. Apart from one front wing which has now been replaced my car has little rust for it's 18 years on the road. The jacking points and underfloor rubber bung areas like still like new. Maybe by the end of w210 production Mercedes made a bit more effort with the rust proofing?

I have seen some shockingly rusty W220's and a few w211's with poor arches. Some owners never bother cleaning inside the wheel arches i suppose.

I must have been lucky with my s210. Apart from one front wing which has now been replaced my car has little rust for it's 18 years on the road. The jacking points and underfloor rubber bung areas like still like new. Maybe by the end of w210 production Mercedes made a bit more effort with the rust proofing?
Have a look in the load area wells either side of the rear bumper ;)

Have a look in the load area wells either side of the rear bumper ;)
Both still solid Will. I went through the whole car after i bought it. Covering the surface rust in a product called Vactan and then a zinc rich topcoat. That was 2 years ago and no rust has come through.

I just scrapped our 1997 Toyota Previa which we had from now. Lots of scratches and dents (it had a tough life crossing continents) but no rust anywhere, Bizarrely not even where the scratches were down to bare metal. MB, are you listening... ?

I know it’s been said many times before but it still astounds me that Mercedes let their quality drop so much on the late nineties. What the hell were they thinking? I get the concept of reducing costs through cheaper switch gear etc etc but cutting back on rust proofing and structural materials? Baffling policy!

It's more to do with innovation than quality. People were becoming more conscious of the environment and manufacturers were responding to it. Mercedes Benz being one of the leaders adopted water based paint early, and before the technology was fully thought through (as well as biodegradable wiring).

It's nothing new, these cars don't rust anywhere near as bad a W114 and as far as reliability vs simplicity vs refinement , I would rather recommend a W210 as a daily driver over anything that came before it and after it.

It's more to do with innovation than quality. People were becoming more conscious of the environment and manufacturers were responding to it. Mercedes Benz being one of the leaders adopted water based paint early, and before the technology was fully thought through (as well as biodegradable wiring).

It's nothing new, these cars don't rust anywhere near as bad a W114 and as far as reliability vs simplicity vs refinement , I would rather recommend a W210 as a daily driver over anything that came before it and after it.
That makes a bit more sense actually....interesting....didn’t realise that was the reason. Because the w124 biodegradable loom had also baffled me. We can blame innovation then!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom