W210 sounds 'tappety' on cold start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
With the cold mornings here, I normally let my car run for 5 to 10 mins in the morning before driving. I've noticed my engine sounds a bit tappety (not sure if this is normal on these cars). Engine oil level is fine and I regularly check it. Any ideas?

Thanks

With this engine do not let it run for 5 - 10 minutes, just get in and drive it. There is no advantage in letting it run...possibly causing more wear.

If it sounds tappety, it's likely the tappets!
If it goes away after a few minutes' drive, it's nothing to worry about.
They're hydraulic without adjustment, and as oil drains from them overnight, and thicker oil on these colder mornings, take a little while for oil to get to them.

I normally start the car before getting settled and put on my seatbelt so the engine has 10-20 seconds headstart before heading off. I do that summer or winter. It pains me when I hear people burn away immediately after the engine starts. If it makes you feel any better, keep it under 2000rpm till the noise goes away.

Also depends on oil grade used. I recently changed to 10w40 due to higher mileage and long journeys on the motorway each day. Mines a little noisier on cold start but only for a few secs until the oil circulated. Maybe worth having your oil changed depending on what grade your using at present.
I've used an oil additive in the past called ZX Extra Lube, which is supposed to coat bearings and wearing parts with a highly protective film, without adding detergents and other nasty's, that stop ingredients in your oil from working properly. Not sure I noticed much difference in all fairness but it did give me some piece of mind that cold starting on icy mornings wasn't causing excess wear!
Keep meaning to buy some more myself, but other things need attention on the old bus first.

Brilliant thanks guys. Seems like I shouldn't be too worried. I'm due a service shortly so will look at my options as too which engine oil to use closer to the time. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lighter grade of fully synthetic...0-20w perhaps? I use this in my Honda Accord 2.4...

Brilliant thanks guys. Seems like I shouldn't be too worried. I'm due a service shortly so will look at my options as too which engine oil to use closer to the time. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

15w50 fully synthetic is the best oil for cars with hydraulic tappets

Last edited:
Not sure I'd quite go that thick a grade to be honest. Unless your going to be hooning round a track, 15w50 isn't going to be an ideal choice! Especially during cold winter months when it'll stay thicker for longer, meaning it doesn't lubricate as well until it's much warmer and thinner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom