w210 stereo - amp in boot, please tell me more..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
In my E320 estate there is an amp in the boot, behind the panel by the cd changer.

Is this Bose??

Do all cars come with this amp??

Has anyone replaced this with a better one?

Has anyone got the pin outs for it so I can make up an adapter to add a better amp. (or rather so I can take the power and feed the speakers with a new one anyway.)

Cheers. :D

Anyone??

Just want to know what the audio options were for the W210 really. Was it basic off the head unit, then an upgrade with an amp and then Bose??

S210 had several different head unit options. The amp at the trunk is not standard but comes with bose. It would take a higher than normal line drive, you may need level shifters if you would use a new amplifier. A new amplifier with old speakers might not help a lot, perhaps a bit.

I have replaced the Audio 20 with a Becker Traffic pro. There was not that much wrong with the Audio 20 and for a stock system it sounded pretty good, well at least it was a warm sound anyway.

Putting the Becker in was more so I had my ipod connected and sat nav whilst keep it looking stock.

Then I was going to pop in a Genesis ST100 2 channel amp and some new speakers up front, either 2 way system from Morel (they go down low).
The idea was run some rca's from the Becker to an amp under teh rear seat and then some speaker cable back to the head unit and hook the speaker cables up there, to save having to rewire the the new speakers.

But seeing that amp there yesterday threw me a bit.

Think if I want to upgrade I may be better to put a new amp in the boot where the CD changer is now, run some phono cables to it and then splice int the speaker cables coming from the stock amp into the new one.

Leaving the OEM amp being driven by the speaker level as it is now, and driving teh rears and sub in the boot.

The new amp can drive the new front speakers.

Just makes it all a bit more complicated! :)

I'd do exactly that.
The power cables wont be able to cope with the current draw needed for your genny, they love a good feed.
And if you're using such high end components such as morel it would be a waste to use a speaker-line level convertor.
Again, good idea, will save you time and effort if you splice into the pre-installed wiring, which is likely adequate for your 100wRMS per side you'll be running. I presume you also intend to run the crossover back by the amp as well and not behind the kick panels?

Hmm, I was going to cut the cable behind the door (leaving enough to crimp the merc speaker connector back on if needed) and put the wires into the crossover and then run a bit of new cable to the mid and tweeter.

Does anyone know how big a speaker you can get away with??

Also is the speaker mounted on the door card or the door??

I will look on Sunday, but getting impatient and fancy getting some kit bought. :)

I have 6.5" components in my doors, with fairly hefty magnets aswell.
But be warned, the fancy shape pod that mercedes has it's standard speaker in is a pain to work with. I ended up cutting the original and 5 hours later and some mdf and fibreglass i could finally mount my speakers!

It goes without saying, but if you're using heavy duty comps like morels, sound deaden the doors like no-ones business or all your hard work will be a waste of time.

I spent a lot of money to try and get my Skyline ice to sound as good as the BOSE on my w210 , even with Rainbow speakers , fully dynamatted and Genesis amp it wasnt a patch imo.

It all comes down to preference really.

The Bose system in the 210 does have a nice warm sound which i do enjoy but i prefer the more "clinical" detailed sound that components such as morel, a/d/s etc give.
That's why i went down the route i did. Many ask whether it was worth all the time and money (i also cut up my rear shelf to fit KEF Infinite Baffle subs). I always answer YES, because i got the car to sound exactly as i want it.
It puts a big grin on my face when i step out of a '08 S600 and step in my lowly 210 and realise i much prefer the sound...

Part of the problem is with an estate you dont really have anywhere to fit a sub unless you go the full bass box route which is less than ideal, useless if you have the 7 seat option and looks awful imo .

I tried elemental design IB subs in the parcel shelf on my Skyline and they rattled the hell out of the car :):):), had to go the bass box route meaning what little boot i had is now filled with a big box , although its quickly and easily removable its still pain although the system does sound very good.

Rainbow do a plug and play 3 way component but I find rainbow too harsh until you get to their more expensive units and I don't know what drivers and tweeter they use in their custom fit range??

I do love Morels, really open midrange and serious amounts of detail but they somehow manage to keep it sounding warm and smooth. Plus they go down low when fitted properly. 45hz is no problem at all, 35hz with a slight roll off, so you really don't need a sub, even with dance stuff.

They may be pricey, but when you weigh up the fact a 2 channel amp and no sub is needed they start to make more sense.

I am planning some component speakers and am interested at the mention of these Morel speakers.
Are they still in business in the UK, is there a recommended distributor and which speakers are recommeded to replace my 5" mid & tweeters in CL203
I was planning on Infinity Kappas...
Many thanks

These are a bit pricey!
I will need 2 pairs, so may stick with the Infinity route.

Why do you need two pairs???

You don't want to upgrade the rear speakers, once you have decent speakers up front you want to fade to the front, something like 80/20 front to rear.

I would spend all the budget on front speakers and leave the rears alone.

You don't want to drag the sound stage towards the rear of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom