W210 Stereo completely wedged in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzuk2

Car
E200 estate W210
Hi folks,

when I bought my w210 several months ago I fitted an Audio 10 CD player. The radio code was written on a sticker on the top of the unit, which I used to unlock it. For some reason still unknown to me to this day, I didn't write the code down before pushing it into the cradle with considerable force (it was a very tight fit).

Now, forward to last week....

My battery went flat and of course now the stereo wants the now inaccessible code. I have tried to remove the stereo with removal keys but it doesn't move an inch. I have also tried removing the storage bay below so I can push it out from behind with the removal keys in, but I only succeed in moving the whole dash.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Is there a way I could access the top of the stereo to view the code? Or perhaps even just a serial no. so I can obtain the code? Any other ideas for getting the bugger out? At this point, destroying the stereo is starting to seem like an option...

help!

many thanks

Did the car have an aftermarket unit fitted when you bought it? it sounds like you forgot the remove the cage for the aftermarket unit which is why it is now stuck in.

Hi folks,

when I bought my w210 several months ago I fitted an Audio 10 CD player. The radio code was written on a sticker on the top of the unit, which I used to unlock it. For some reason still unknown to me to this day, I didn't write the code down before pushing it into the cradle with considerable force (it was a very tight fit).

Now, forward to last week....

My battery went flat and of course now the stereo wants the now inaccessible code. I have tried to remove the stereo with removal keys but it doesn't move an inch. I have also tried removing the storage bay below so I can push it out from behind with the removal keys in, but I only succeed in moving the whole dash.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Is there a way I could access the top of the stereo to view the code? Or perhaps even just a serial no. so I can obtain the code? Any other ideas for getting the bugger out? At this point, destroying the stereo is starting to seem like an option...

help!

many thanks

If you have the digital heater controls, you could remove those as you would the radio and see the top of the radio, if not...

If it's the original radio an MB dealer should be able to provide you with the code from the VIN.

Thanks. I have the dial controls for the heater - if I could remove the fascia for this maybe I could see the top of the unit? Is it possible to do without removing the stereo?

thanks

Did the car have an aftermarket unit fitted when you bought it? it sounds like you forgot the remove the cage for the aftermarket unit which is why it is now stuck in.

Thats what me thinks also the original MB units always slide in and out with ease

I'm beginning to fear the same. If this was the case, how would you approach it? I'm at the point of being prepared to trash the stereo to get it out.

Ok, well in the end I gave it a good yank (always the best policy) and it shot out. Turns out the cage was bent,

thanks guys

That cage will be the previous aftermarket stereo's cage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom