W210 Thermostat housing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
Am I being a bit picky, or is it a bit serious, that the Thermostat I just got from MB is in a housing that seems to have been cast by kids on 'bring a kid to work day'.

here's a pic

154621_480129599161_727004161_5631933_6390776_n.jpg

I think i'm worrying too much but having worked in an industry where we did castings for Rail equipment and Aerospace/military stuff, (and the odd formula 1 gearbox) I'd never let something like that leave the shop. Now that I think about it it's probably a very overused casting profile they're using.

I think I'm turning into James May.

Does the housing have to be changed if the thermostat is being changed?

it all came together, boxed up, and its sorta built in. the old thermo and housing looks pristine. but hey, it's stuck wide open. rather have a working one than a rubbish one. at least the engine cover, well, covers it.

by the way, how funny is it, all the 'THermostat Issues' popping up on the forum this time of year. Also dokalj, that was a good deal you got on your Stat, mine was 47 quid.

it all came together, boxed up, and its sorta built in. the old thermo and housing looks pristine. but hey, it's stuck wide open. rather have a working one than a rubbish one. at least the engine cover, well, covers it.

by the way, how funny is it, all the 'THermostat Issues' popping up on the forum this time of year. Also dokalj, that was a good deal you got on your Stat, mine was 47 quid.

I haven't got mine yet. £40 + vat seems like the norm. But yes, it does seem funny these thermostat issues appearing. :D Does your car perform any different?

TBH If I had opened a box and found a part that looked like that I would be back down the parts department and asked them to change it for another one. That sort of casting is what you expect out of India, and not from a quality MB product. I would have no confidence fitting that, expecting some degree of porosity at any time. I think you have answered your own question when you said " I would never let something like that leave the shop". For your own peace of mind, I would get it changed.

thanks for that toolman 1954. i did have my doubts. internally it does look fine, but i know from experience how much i had to clean my sand moulds down and re-wax my profiles, because if stuff like that went out it'd come straight back.

I wondered if it was just that i was being picky, but it really did surprise me when i got home and opened the box. Back to MB tomorrow, thanks for your opinion. i'll post the results tomorrow!

UPDATE: (Bear in mind today is 16th december...)

note on door when I got over there: 'MB SERVICE DEPARTMENT SHEFFIELD WILL BE CLOSED FROM 5PM WEDNESDAY 15TH DEC TO 12PM FRIDAY 17TH DECEMBER DUE TO ANNUAL STOCK TAKE. WE APOLOGISE FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE.'

Oh, well, seeing as you apologised for any inconvenience, that's just $%@#$ magic. You know when you just wanna get something sorted... ):(

TBH If I had opened a box and found a part that looked like that I would be back down the parts department and asked them to change it for another one. That sort of casting is what you expect out of India, and not from a quality MB product. I would have no confidence fitting that, expecting some degree of porosity at any time. I think you have answered your own question when you said " I would never let something like that leave the shop". For your own peace of mind, I would get it changed.

I inspect castings for a living.
That one would be straight in the bin.
I agree with every word above.
Cheers
Johnsco
Inspection Engineer

Thanks Johnsco, I didn't get a chance to go visit MB Parts Dept now that they've re-opened for their annual stock-take.

But I'm glad I hung on now, yet more affirmation about my doubts with this casting. Can't wait to go in to the Parts Dept and have a chat with the lad at the desk. BTW, I used to do my casting work near Barnsley, a Sheffield firm called CTI.

There I fixed it all finally.

167439_487397134161_727004161_5758172_8034831_n.jpg

Broken fuel line replaced, battery charged after sitting outside freezing for a week, took it for a 10 minute run, and MPG up from 27 when Stat was broken to 34, with car now feeling nice and toasty, bubbling along at what seems to be the fabled 92 degrees C.

Time to get it on Auto Trader before another gremlin emerges!

Good to hear you got yours sorted!

I got mine sorted last week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom