W210/W202 E320/C280 with M104 - Retrofit Facelift instrument cluster?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WDB124092

Car
W124 E320 Estate
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, and hopefully my english isn't to bad to understand ;)

A little bit about me: I'm David, from Germany, 22 Years old, a car mechanic and i like the W124 and everything else from Mercedes...^^ I drive a W124 E320 Estate and a W203 200K Sportcoupe

Well, i know it is possible to upgrade a W210/W202 pre-facelift to the facelift instrument cluster, with multi function steering wheel and anything else, but until now i only saw it on the V6 and 4-Cylinder models.
Now, i just want to know if it is possible to upgrade a pre-facelift W210/W202 with the M104 Engine to facelift Instrument Cluster. Do i have to change the interior wiring harness to a model with the "new" infrared key? (In german mercedes terms it's called "FBS - Fahr-Berechtigungs-System" wich is literally translated as "Access Control System") If i have to do that, i have to change everything inside the W124...but that wouldn't be bad, because i could get rid of the vacuum central locking system :cool:

So. Has anyone upgraded a pre-facelift W210 or a W202 to the facelift instrument cluster? As i said above, i know it is possible on the W202, because MBenzNL did it on a C230 K, but i do not know if it was a facelift W202 and it was a 4-Cylinder Engine...

Btw, i wrote to MBenzNL, but there never came anything back... :(

Many thanks in advance,

David

Last edited:
Welcome; and your English is probably better than mine (being a Welshman).

I'm not sure the majority of us are that technical on this forum, so you may need to wait a while for someone to come along with answers for you.

I would have thought that you would have gotten all the answers from the 'fatherland' as there are some very good forums there.

Welcome to the forum!
So. Has anyone upgraded a pre-facelift W210 or a W202 to the facelift instrument cluster? As i said above, i know it is possible on the W202, because MBenzNL did it on a C230 K, but i do not know if it was a facelift W202 and it was a 4-Cylinder Engine...

Btw, i wrote to MBenzNL, but there never came anything back... :(
MBenzNL and I tried this out on my facelift model C230k back in 2002 but we never completed the mod. He was very confident that it would work and there are a few examples on the web of 202, 208, 210 models that have been updated to take the newer instrument cluster and options.

Good luck with your modding :D

Hi Shude,

thanks, i hope my luck won't run out, despite all the wishes :D

Hi Kth286,

Welsh is a very nice "sounding" language...:D
Anyway, the problem is with modding a Merc and trying to get some information from the "Fatherland" - No body tryed somethin like that until now ;) Most of them say something like "Why would you like to destroy such a nice car like the W124 with such a mod?" or "It won't work, forget it."

But since the mod has been performed a little bit often outside germany...i hoped to get a few more informations from here. At least some of the people that have upgraded their 202 or 210, ar in this forum ;)

The cheapest way to get a trip computer would be, to adapt the trip computer out of a W140 or R129...but i don't like the idea of having an extra display somewhere ontop of the dash...it should look like it could be stock ;)

Greetings,
David

Hi V12,

no, that isn't exactly what i'm after. Because i need to know if it's possible on a 1995-1997 E320, without the "minor" facelift (like the electronic controled ignition switch)...=/ No one ever tryed that? =(

MBenzNL did not respond to my mails...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom