W210 Wheel Bearing adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StevenN

Car
E220 CDI 2002 W210 Auto
Hi Folks

My list of maintainence issues are growing.
Good thing I have a few days to look at doing them.

During the MOT test the garage advised that there was a bit of play in the wheel bearings.
Was looking to do this when I change the discs & pads but noticed yesterday that while reversing out of a parking space noticed a noise like I was driving over a plastic bottle (like plastic crunching).
I am assuming that this is the bearings rubbing because the wheel was at full lock.

So if I am right are there any special tools required?
I have read a bit on here about how tight to do the nut up but nobody has done a how to guide.

Any tips?

Thanks
Steve

Many thanks.
Watching it now as its just started to rain.

Cheers

Steve

On a merc there is just an allen key which acts as the locking pin and the nut is slightly different.. same concept.

Hi Jaymanek

Is the video of a Merc hub or just a general video?

I just wanted to be sure of what I will find when I go looking
My other vehicle has 2 nuts and various washers and a pin to negotiate

Ta

Steve

That's a general video, but the principal is the same.

The difference comes in that you will have to loosen off a clamp nut to free up the bearing nut...once you remove the grease cap it will be apparent.

Now watching a German video on YouTube.
See what you mean.
Do you know what size of Allen key?

After that I will be fine ta

Steve

Don't know the size, but if you have the usual set, then it will be one of the smaller ones...it's not an unusual size.

All done

I needed a 5mm Allen key for the nut and it was mostly plain sailing.
The hardest part was getting the cap off one side.
This one had the green Merc grease inside but not a lot of it.
Both sides cleaned and repacked with new grease.

Did notice some play twisting side to side rather than top to bottom.
Could that be bottom ball joints?

Steve

Please excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by lower arms?
I couldn't feel movement in the steering arm so I assumed it was the balljoint under the hub.

I have looked about on the forum and Dieselman says its an easy fix with no special tools undo a few nuts and whack it with a hammer?
I take it that you have to support the hub a little and jack the hub to set the new joint in place.

I might as well do these when I do the discs later this week so again any tips or idiot guides will be appreciated

Thanks

Steve

Lower arm is the Y shaped thing. The two ears attach to the car, the tail to the wheel as it where, the ball joint. The front bush adjusts the fore/aft movement of the wheel, the castor angle. The rear bush effects the in/out movement, the camber.
The upper arm is above, connecting wheel to body with a bush above the spring, which presses down on the lower arm.
The steering arm, or track rod, pushes the wheel left/right, track rod end at wheel, chicken leg bearings on inner end under gaiter.
Also anti-roll bar with drop links, and bushes.
Bushes and bearings wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom