W210 Wheel Corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nobs&Dials

I have a 2002 E320CDi fitted with the optional 17" alloy wheels and sports suspension package.

The wheels have started to get a white scab forming in places which I assume to be corrosion. :(

I have only ever used car shampoo to clean them (nothing corrosive).

Has anybody else here suffered a similar problem? Would the 3 yr MB warranty cover the replacement or re-furbishment of them?

I haven't approached the dealer yet but want to go fully armed :)

Thanks.

For the record:

ALL Mercedes vehicles leaving the factory are fitted with "hammer on" style wheel weights for balancing, whether they are steel or alloy. Also, regardless of whether they are polished rim or not.

So some Kraut smacks a weight onto your nice shiny rims, breaking the lacquer and exposing the rim. Water ingress occurs over time and you soon see the appearance of a white mark on the wheel - aluminium oxide. Use of alloy wheel cleaners will only accelerate this.

You may wish to go to your dealer, but be prepared for a knock back.

I got this info from Pristine Alloys in Milton Keynes when I took mine in for a refurb (1998 vintage). The polished rims are so badly damaged that they advised painting the entire wheel. It isn't really worth it for me - I'm going to invest in a set of new alloys, either 17" or 18".

I personally think it is disgraceful that a large multinational in this day and age uses such a stone age method for wheel balancing, and not employ stick on weights like the rest of the manufacturers. Oh, Jaguar are also guilty of this.

Rant over. Thanks for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom