W210 wheelbolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jgevers

Car
ML270CDi again, Golf TDi, Legacy Turbo 280PS, RS6 Avant
Sorry, but I have to vent a bit. Another W210 on a ramp b*ggering up the workshop planning!

We see this so often! Original wheelbolts overtight and no grease. They break between the head and abutment! There seems to be nothing we can do to avoid it.

It takes forever to drill them out. Can't use heat because it might damage the alloys.

This one broke 10. Guess where it had been last for it's tyres? Kwik Sh*t as usual.

Just getting fed up with bad design, bad materials and fitters that don't care.

I suppose after changing to the short bolts it won't happen again.

A bit of advice: If you have a W210 with original long wheelbolts, please keep them greased or change them for short bolts. This way the likes of us don't get frustrated and you will avoid a big bill!

regards,

Job

Hi
It is possible that the extended shank or extended head bolts were supplied on some W210 models, but Mercedes part numbers default to the later M12x1.5x39R12 bolt:
B66470133
A bolt with a thread length shorter than 35mm shouldn't be used on W210/C/CLK/SLK

Murray Systems said:
Hi
It is possible that the extended shank or extended head bolts were supplied on some W210 models, but Mercedes part numbers default to the later M12x1.5x39R12 bolt:
B66470133
A bolt with a thread length shorter than 35mm shouldn't be used on W210/C/CLK/SLK

By shorter bolts I mean the no shank between abutment and head. The thread length stays the same.

regards,

Job

Hi.

Have just read this and my heart sank.

Have a 1999 W210 with one overtight bolt on one front wheel, and two on the other.

If these need to be drilled out, any idea what a reasonable garage bill would be for this?

Also, may be a dumb question, but what type of grease should have been used on the bolts by the tyrefitters, and where on the bolts should be greased?

Thanks

Rob

earthvisitor said:
If these need to be drilled out, any idea what a reasonable garage bill would be for this?

Also, may be a dumb question, but what type of grease should have been used on the bolts by the tyrefitters, and where on the bolts should be greased?
Please read: http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3029

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom