W210 Window regulator repair failed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeterE320Cdi

Car
C219 CLS 320 CDi, R170 SLK 230K, XC60 Past Cars: S210 E320 CDi rusty, CLK 240, S210 E300 DT
I tried using the window regulator repair piece today part number A2107200042 to fix the drivers side rear window on my W210. It was a different design to the broken piece and the window would not fully close leaving a 1cm gap.

This was the part recommended by the dealer.

Does anyone know if there are different repair pieces for the front and rear windows?

The repair piece was called a Sliding Jaw. I tried looking up Sliding Jaw on the Inchcap site but could only see the one starting 210

Search - Mercedes-Benz Parts, Inchcape

Which part were you replacing?

Dec
Picture source… w210 rear window regulator | eBay UK
M003-LRST-SP.jpg

This is the offending part:

Attachments

• Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 139
Which is broken and which is the original?

This is a W202, almost the same as yours, see… New Page 1

Dec
M.jpg

Last edited:
The green one is the new one.

Thanks Dec, I will give it a go.

The same part failed on my 210 right rear window yesterday. Have you had any success in sourcing the correct new part?

Is it possible to fix this without removing the entire regulator assembly and motor from the door?

Is there a way to jam the window closed while I find a new part and make time to fix it?

A new regulator complete is only £25.00

The same part failed on my 210 right rear window yesterday. Have you had any success in sourcing the correct new part?w210 rear window regulator | eBay

Is it possible to fix this without removing the entire regulator assembly and motor from the door? ... No

Is there a way to jam the window closed while I find a new part and make time to fix it? … remove the regulator, you will have to do that anyway, then prop the glass up with a lenth of wood cut to correct size.

Part 1… W210 DIY - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhyPArCRHwE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGlGVcS5XhA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYhL3ir-NA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Dec

Last edited:
A new regulator complete is only £25.00

That's useful to know. Where from? (MB dealer quoted about £80 this morning and a breaker wanted £55 for a used one)

Looks like I can buy the part I need from here for £5: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace .......

..... But confused about why the photo shows the rivet, but no carrier frame. I don't have any rivets or a pop riveter, so not sure how I could attach the new part. Maybe a nut and bolt would do?:dk:

You don’t have to do any riveting with the plastic piece, best to remove the regulator and study it and refer to the link in post #4 above, for a W202, but almost the same as a W210.

Dec
U.jpg

You don’t have to do any riveting with the plastic piece, best to remove the regulator and study it and refer to the link in post #4 above, for a W202, but almost the same as a W210.

Well If I remove the whole regulator, then I will need a pop riverter to fix it back in. (because it looks too difficult to get a nut and bolt on to the top hole)

And, how can I re-attach the broken part to the metal frame (the small triangular shaped bit) without a pop-riveter? Do you think a nut and bolt will do it?

I see what you mean about the rivet however if the kit below is the one that you are using then there is a rivit supplied with it, its almost right in the centre of the picture below.

You do need a drill and a riveting gun to replace the regulator, however short VERY TIGHT self tapering screws could be used instead of rivets… http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0016SJ380/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Dec
M003-LRST-SP.jpg

Its really not worth going to all that effort.. Pattern parts are not as good as Mb but do the job ok and like Franey said they cost £20-30 usually.

I've now got the necessary part to fix the window regulator and planning to fit it this weekend.

When the regulator is out of the car, is it OK to test it before it is refitted? In other words, can I apply power to the motor when the regulator is out of the car?

What makes the motor stop when it is in the car? If I do test the regulator out of the car, would it still auto stop at the top and bottom?

Yes, you can test it before it is refitted as long as you use that motors power supply plug in the door , it will stop at the top and bottom HOWEVER you will have to synchronise that particular window motor, if you were to use the power from a battery charger for example then the motor would keep going… damaging the motor… until the power from the battery charger is removed.

Where the motor is, in relation to the top and bottom, is, I believe, controlled by the box of tricks at the base of the motor, by synchronising the motor, it tells the electronics where the top and bottom of the window travel is.

To synchronising the motor, turn on the ignition, open the window all the way down and continue to hold the down side of the window switch for 10 seconds, next, raise the window all the way to the top, hold the up side of the window switch down for 10 seconds, window is now synchronising and it should now know where the top and bottom is.

Dec

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom