W210 won’t start (key issue)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
For a few weeks I’ve not been able to start my Merc. Originally I was able to unlock and lock the car doors however when I would put the key in the ignition I couldn’t hear the steering unlock and also the key wouldn’t turn.

A local locksmith advised me to get the ignition barrel looked at as that might be the problem. I had it sent to Ireland and got it repaired.

Yesterday I put it back in the car and put the key in the ignition. I still did not hear the steering unlock however I can now turn the key all the way to position 3. The dash lights up as it should however still can’t get the engine to crank.

I have noticed even when the key is turned to position 3 I can’t open windows on the car and also the boot does not release from inside the car. The key is also not locking and unlocking the doors.

I’ve checked the cars battery and it seems pretty healthy.

Any ideas?

Car is a 2001 w210 e320 cdi

The lock smith said he will come with his diagnostic computer and bypass the steering lock. This would allow me to start the car and once the car is started the key will re sync with the car allowing it to lock and unlock. Does this sound right?

Have you ever opened the key, there is a transponder chip inside, if it is missing or dislodged from its position then the car wont start.

1993681d1477607378-1997-w202-c230-wont-start-after-mercedes-remote-key-fob-case-swap.jpg

Dec

Have you ever opened the key, there is a transponder chip inside, if it is missing or dislodged from its position then the car wont start.

1993681d1477607378-1997-w202-c230-wont-start-after-mercedes-remote-key-fob-case-swap.jpg

Dec

This did cross my mind but I thought the transponder is there to start the car (correct me if I’m wrong) in my case the doors are also not locking and unlocking.

Its always possible to have two faults going on at the same time, the remote locking is IR and the immobiliser is the chip inside the remote, worth checking out particularly if the remote was sent to Ireland, the may have opened it up.

Dec

The by-passing of the steering lock sounds like an ESL fault?

You could open the key as it could be the coil, these do fail and I did repair mine once.

2014-11-20134443_zps229ef113.jpg

This did cross my mind but I thought the transponder is there to start the car (correct me if I’m wrong) in my case the doors are also not locking and unlocking.

Which key type do you have?

Dec

key.png

Sounds like the EIS and ESL have both failed.

ESL - Not recognising the key and releasing the steering lock
EIS - Stuck and not allowing the key to turn

The EIS unit sounds like it has been fixed so you are just left with the ESL unit which can be replaced.

Should he the 2nd one on a 2001 facelift W210

I stand corrected thanks; don’t know how I follow the wrong key – sorry OP.

Dec

Sounds like the EIS and ESL have both failed.

ESL - Not recognising the key and releasing the steering lock
EIS - Stuck and not allowing the key to turn

The EIS unit sounds like it has been fixed so you are just left with the ESL unit which can be replaced.

Glad to hear this as this is exactly what the locksmith told me. He said he will pop round in the next hour to bypass the steering lock. This will confirm if the ESL is the problem.

Locksmith has been over and still couldn’t get the car to start. He now wants me to take the steering lock off and send it away with the ignition to Ireland. Does anyone know how to remove the steering lock unit from the car when the wheel is locked?

This is what is happening when I try to start the car.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The lock smiths did try to do this. Car still didn’t fire up. Does this rule out the fact that this is a bad steering lock?

I would think so. Did you check the coil in the key?

Any good?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I would think so. Did you check the coil in the key?

Coil seems to be fine. Also tried a second key stIll no luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom