W210 won’t start (key issue)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got this sorted by lightly banging the steering lock with a hammer (wrapped in a towel)

Car starts fine now so it was the steering lock after all.

I brought the emulator which bob6600 suggested however it didn’t bypass the lock.

I wired it up as follows

Positive to positive
Ground to ground
K line to Kline

The w210s have 2 Kline wires coming of the steering locks wiring harness but the emulator only had one wire I’ve tried connecting to both Kline on the cars side with no luck.

Any ideas?

Could somebody show me the way they have plugged the emulator as it might be me who’s mistaken and wiring it in wrong.

@renault12ts might be able to help he had this done

Did you remove the old ESL?

I did this about 3-4 years ago...all knowledge is long forgotten...sorry.

@renault12ts might be able to help he had this done

Did you remove the old ESL?

No bob. Basically banging it with a hammer sort of free’d off the lock and since it’s been working fine.

I tried to connect he emulator while the lock was unlocked but it wouldn’t let me remove the key.

Also while the lock was stuck on the emulator wouldn’t let me turn the key in the ignition.

Just a bit worrried in case it locks up again and I get stranded somewhere.

I think the ESL being connected means it is overriding the emulator. I haven't used one so cannot be sure but I think it needs removing from the system and then the emulator makes it think it's there

Sounds like it was just stuck.

If it’s getting stuck again and the hammer is your solution then consider a replacement in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom