W210 won't unlock with the remote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sportyreptile

Car
96 W210 E36 AMG
The car's been in a London underground carpark since Sunday evening all locked up nice and safe, go to the car this morning to get my umbrella out of the boot and the car won't unlock with the remote.

I can get into the car with the key in the passenger door but of course the engine won't start as the immobiliser thinks the car is still locked, the alarm goes off too when I've unlocked it with the key.

I've disconnected the battery under the seat for 15 minutes but still the car won't unlock......changed the batteries in the key too, any ideas how I can get the car unlocked or get the immobiliser to think it's unlocked so I can start the car?

+1 for checking the cars battery, the siren is most likely running off of its back-up battery, the cars immobiliser is incorporated in the key, so once the key is in the ignition the car should start, if the battery is ok.

Does the central locking work off the switch inside the car?

I've silenced the alarm with the key in the back of the siren unit under the bonnet.
I haven't tried to start the car with the key as it still thinks it's locked and I thought the immobiliser would still be active?
I'll try it later though when I get back to the car. The battery is in good nick. I'll try the central locking button on the dash too, that might help.
I've left the battery disconnected for the moment as I've been told that can help to "reset" the alarm system if it gets it's knickers in a twist.

Anyone think the mirror receiver for the remote key might be faulty? The key seems ok but the car seems as though it's not getting the signal to unlock.

Cheers guys, I'll try these few things and report back later

If you unlock the car with the key, to deactivate the immobiliser the key has to be put into the ignition and the car should start. The alarm should go off when the car is unlocked with the key, that is normal. The alarm should stop when the key is put into the ignition.

Unbelievable...put the key in the ignition...and go home.:D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom