W211 18" 19" wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
Just wondering what 2ND set of wheels to get for the w211. I currently have the amg e55 18" wheels but wonderd whether the 19 run that bit more uncomfortable compared to the 18". Really like the ride of the 18 don't want to ruin that on the car if 19" did cause a less comfy ride.

Cheers

Just wondering what 2ND set of wheels to get for the w211. I currently have the amg e55 18" wheels but wonderd whether the 19 run that bit more uncomfortable compared to the 18". Really like the ride of the 18 don't want to ruin that on the car if 19" did cause a less comfy ride.

Cheers

Just changed mine to 19's with Goodyear Asymetrics..
No real difference in ride quality which I could notice but a big improvement in steering and grip but my 18's had budget ditchfinders fitted..

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the advice.

How you finding the Goodyear's. Fair cost?

I went from 18" ---> 19" wheels on the CLS , the ride is a bit more firm which is to be expected with the lower profile tyres but the main difference is in the increased road noise.

The original 18" Evergreen tyres were much quieter than the new Avon`s i fitted to the front even though they had a higher DB rating than the Avons :dk:

I dont do a lot of motorway miles but if i did then the extra noise would be an issue.

Kenny

I went from 18" ---> 19" wheels on the CLS , the ride is a bit more firm which is to be expected with the lower profile tyres but the main difference is in the increased road noise.

The original 18" Evergreen tyres were much quieter than the new Avon`s i fitted to the front even though they had a higher DB rating than the Avons :dk:

I dont do a lot of motorway miles but if i did then the extra noise would be an issue.

Kenny

I appreciate the advice thanks.

I'm thinking stick with 18" to be honest.

Kenny

I'm surprised the Avon's appear more noisy. I found quite the opposite changing from conti on my Audi A6.
Of course, the DB rating refers to the drive by noise and not the noise heard inside the car.
One of the major benefits of Airmatic suspension is noise suppression and it is rarely mentioned. The tyre noise directly transmitted to the car structure has the extra layer of suppression provided by the air.:D
I didn't have air on my CLS and sticking with 18" rims the car was fine.
Any size above this, and Airmatic works well at structure born noise.
You will notice that Airmatic is very often part of a Mercedes 'package' supplied with larger wheels.
As on my current GLE on 20" wheels;)

I'm surprised the Avon's appear more noisy. I found quite the opposite changing from conti on my Audi A6.
Of course, the DB rating refers to the drive by noise and not the noise heard inside the car.
One of the major benefits of Airmatic suspension is noise suppression and it is rarely mentioned. The tyre noise directly transmitted to the car structure has the extra layer of suppression provided by the air.:D
I didn't have air on my CLS and sticking with 18" rims the car was fine.
Any size above this, and Airmatic works well at structure born noise.
You will notice that Airmatic is very often part of a Mercedes 'package' supplied with larger wheels.
As on my current GLE on 20" wheels;)

I'd never thought of Airmatic helping with noise suppression but right enough my 212 was near silent on 17s and still pretty good on 18s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom