w211 2003 - Dead Instrument Cluster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRan

Car
R129 SL 500
Guys,

Looking for some DIY guides or advice before I send the cluster off for a possible repair.

The E-Class i have for sale has been perfect for years, since making it SORN at the end of Jan, I have moved the car twice, once to take pictures and yesterday (about two weeks apart) Upon starting it yesterday the main instrument cluster is dead, nothing, zipp, natta... No gauges, no dials and no clock.
Also the steering wheel controls have stopped working as have the parking sensors. I have done lots of interweb seraching and its all pointing to a dead chip or bad joints on the board of the cluster.

Is there a DIY or any tips before I just end up having to ship off to either BBA Reman or AC Tronics

I'd put the battery on charge for 24 hrs, then remove the negative lead for 30 mins, then reconnect and see if resets the system. The electrics on W211 E classes behave strangely when the battery is low on charge.

Edit. I'm assuming you would leave the battery in place whilst charging. If not, ignore removing the neg lead.

I should have added I have already done those steps and both batteries are holding a solid charge - both batteries are under 18 months old too.

You have checked fuses right? Should be a little paper guide/chart inside the end of the dash.

Yep all fuses checked

Went to remove the cluster again this evening and just as i was about to remove the plug at the back she sprang back in to life...

Love a free fix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom