W211 2005 E320cdi smells of diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kdh

Car
E Class 320cdi Estate
Dear all,

I have a 2005 E320cdi Estate with 125,000 miles, full service history etc.

I've noticed lately that the engine sounds a bit louder than normal and that it's starting to smell of diesel inside and outside especially when idling.

I'm wondering if this is common or if something's suddenly broken / gone wrong.
Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

I can't afford a main dealer so anything DIY would be welcome.

Many thanks, Kim

Hi Kim, unfortunately this sounds very much like the "black death" remove engine cover and look at the top of the injectors for melted plastic it looks like tar and report back

Black death? Ooh my gawd. I don't like the sound of that.

I'll report back in the morning when I can see what I'm doing. Thanks for replying.

Is the Black death...bad? (expensive)

It can be search for black death on here loads of threads about it, report back in morning when u can confirm

Sorry for the late reply. Snow stopped play.

First shot is what I found under the engine cover and it looks like one of the injectors (?) has burnt a hole in the polystyrene.

Underneath in the second shot it all looks quite dry and clean apart from the first injector (?) on the left.

Thanks for any more help.

Is it safe to drive? (Still smells a bit and I don't want to kill a passenger)

It might be the start of black death get a garage to look at it at ur earliest convenience to stop this before it gets worse and costly as u might be lucky enough were the injectors needs a new seating washer and refitted you u leave it the injectors will be proved to snapping inside the head whilst trying to remove and this is when it becomes very expensive

Okay thanks for replying. We're not dead yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom