w211 2007 air suspension unit (estate)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boblydon

Car
merc e320...jaguar xk
Hi,

Looking for some urgent help please to correct a big mistake i have done.

Decided to run a diagnostic check on the car and forgot that i had the rear suspension in bits, i had the ignition on for the diagnostic machine, never gave the suspension a thought that the compressor has fully inflated bag.

Is there anyway to deflate a suspension airbag please, i now have it off the car with the airline disconnected.......am hoping to recompress it, but frightened i damage it........would be really grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance

Bob

Just a quick update, having trawled the internet for info on these Arnott air struts, fortunately i have found some info which may help someone in the same situation who does not have access to a Merc star computer which can tell the ECU to deflate the struts.

1/ One site says if you put 5 volts across the pins on the strut, this will open the solenoid and release the air........however i have not tried this so can not guarantee it.

2/ The other info was using the paperclip trick, this involves inserting the paperclip into the hole where the airline enters the strut (10mm nut), when you do this you release the air from inside the strut.......this works, and my strut is now deflated ready to be refitted.

Bob

If the top of the air bags can be accessed then loosen the 3 screws that hold in the valve and pull out the valve , this will let pressure off . If the bag has fully extended than the real problem will be folding back in the rubber bladder to allow the bag to sit down .
Ive had this happen to me before .

well everything is now refitted, unfortunately the compressor now does not seem to be running to re pump up the strut, loosened the connections next to the diff, but can't hear any air.
1/ does the engine need to be running, or just the ignition on to start the compressor ???

2/ Where is the compressor fitted on the car (2007 w211 sport estate).

3/ Where will i find the fuse for the compressor

Thanks

Bob

Before i went away for the weekend, because the suspension was playing on my mind, i decided to have one last go at it.

Having trawled the internet for any thing i could do with w211 rear suspension, i let the car down to as low as i dared with the trolley jack just taking the weight of the rear end and started the engine.

Yeeee haaaaa was over the moon when the compressor kicked in and lifted the rear end...............one very happy bunny now !!!!!

I know this thread is old, but having just gone through this with a 2004 E500 4matic estate, I ended up wasting a lot of time. The answers that got me on the right track were found here. The paper clip trick did not work for me unfortunately. I could have easily applied 5 volts to the bottom two pins if I had a plug from a scrap car. Trying to get on the pins in the restricted space just ended in frustration. The solution was to disconnect the air lines to the two rear bags, but leave the electrical connector connected and the car supported on jack stands at all four corners. Pull the fuse to the air pump so it won't start. Start the car and you'll hear the bags vent off air in two spurts. Shut the car off and the bags will vent once more. Do this about 10 or so times. You will hear the escaping air become weaker as the bags deflate. During this process, let your car idle for a few minutes once or twice to burn off the excess fuel from the repeated starts. My E500 now has a new set of Arnott bags in the back and sitting level once again. BTW, if you reference the Arnott video on this process and think the swap will going to go anywhere near that easy, you're in for a disappointment.

I second that my mechanic friend and I took several hours of manipulating to remove the unit ..Note: the lower bolt threads all the way through the lower arm so has to be wound out I'm currently changing unit again as the top plastic mount has appeared to fail so the deflating game begins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom