W211 270CDI - Front Wobble and Bouncy Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbz124

Hi All,

I have a E270 cdi Avant saloon 131k miles that has served me well. Its developed a random wobble which feels like the o/s/f wheel. And the front suspension seems incredibly bouncy now. Its the had the following changed:

Top and bottom ball joints both side (merc brand)
Lower arms both (aluminium febi)
Outer and inner track rod both sides (febi)
New set of engine and gearbox mounts.
Pair of new Michelin primacy at the front. Balanced twice and in shape.
Same Symptons with second set of loan wheels.
No atf contamination and torque convertor has been ruled out.
No abnormal bounce from struts
No wheel bearing play
Steering fluid level is normal

My Indie has run out of ideas........:confused:

The magic ride has gone .. can any out there help??

cheers

Surinder.:wallbash:

If it's too bouncy at the front, surely it can only be the shock absorbers? Have you changed them?

Hi it sounds as if we have the same problem,i'm going to change the top mount and shocks next will let you know if this cures mine.

also check the steering damper.

I took it to an old school mechanic, he says the steering rack is fine and the wobble could be related to a duff wheel bearing. As there was a slight rubbing/ grinding noise which has been there for a while.

Upon raising the car there is no play in wheel, just wondering whether when the wheel is loaded, the bearing then starts to play up? The wobble only starts and continues only after I have hit a bump in the road.

Is this possible?

Thanks guys for feedback.

Car is going in for MOT on SAT and see what is revealed.

Which shockers would you go for - Monroe, SACHS or BOGE or ATP?

cheers.

How long should wheel bearings last? And what tell-tale sign(s) indicates they need changing?

They can last a very long time if maintained properly.Noise and excessive play indicate wear. Also when the bearing is removed (taper roller) you can visually see the wear.

They can last a very long time if maintained properly.Noise and excessive play indicate wear. Also when the bearing is removed (taper roller) you can visually see the wear.

To the trained eye.

:)

Hi all,

passed the MOT.

Both bearings were shot showings signs of overheat. One bearing would only show play after the wheel and disc were removed. Is that common?

I am planning on replacing the front shockers on the w211 diy, I have a set of standard spring compressors, will these cut it? Also the car has done 131k should I change the springs as well?

I am reviving the old post in hope that it solve a similar issue I am having on my e270 CDI 2003 model. I am also experiencing bouncy suspension when going over the bumps or depression on the road. Do you remember what cured it? was it front or rear shock absorbers?
Thanks

I am reviving the old post in hope that it solve a similar issue I am having on my e270 CDI 2003 model. I am also experiencing bouncy suspension when going over the bumps or depression on the road. Do you remember what cured it? was it front or rear shock absorbers?
Thanks

Hi Azeem, New Front struts and springs, original MB springs were ok, but decided to drop in new springs.

Thanks. In that case, i'll change the shock absorbers only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom