W211 320 cdi Sport post facelift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigyank

Car
E320 sport W211
Hi all,

So due to a change in circumstances (detailed in the post in General) I'm looking for a black e320cdi sport post-2006. Ideally below 130k, with parking, memory seats, and if possible HK sound.

I know its a long shot but fingers crossed!

What about this one
No HK sound but the amps can be an expensive repair , I’m sure something else could be done sound

What about this one
No HK sound but the amps can be an expensive repair , I’m sure something else could be done sound
Looks awesome - I did see that one but it’s a bit out of my budget. Unless I max out the plastic. Super low miles - I guess I should have 50k relatively trouble free.
I was thinking (ie hoping)around the 4-5k mark.
It is tempting though……

Looks awesome - I did see that one but it’s a bit out of my budget. Unless I max out the plastic. Super low miles - I guess I should have 50k relatively trouble free.
I was thinking (ie hoping)around the 4-5k mark.
It is tempting though……
I thought it was a high price , but when it doesn’t sell , maybe it will get priced more appropriately.
Things like parking sensors and stereo can be retrofitted , so maybe that will give you more flexibility in your choices ?

Just for some context.

I was looking for an E320 211 for about 6 months from Aug 2019 to Feb 2020. Either saloon with folsing seats or estate, but I was after a 2008/2009, and would have gone to a touch over 100k miles on clock.
Budget was up to £7k, which at that time was almost the most expensive 211 on AutoTrader (baring a few 30k miles garage queens at £10k).

Only 1 came up in that time that was really promising, that went in 1 day. I didn't realise how quick I needed to be on the pounce.

The reality of the rest was that after many trips to cars that looked good online, in the flesh they had many issued and rough spots, body damage, obvious repairs, ECU error codes suggesting some costly repairs, air con not working or on the way out, and in many many cases, evidence of water leaks in the boot.

I ended up with a 2011 w212 E350 for around my top budget. They were much more plentiful, and therefore I fell into that purchase off this forum.

Roll forward covid car buying, and prices have gone up quite a bit, and everyone will be trying their luck with their selling price.
So with the car you are looking at, my strongest advice is buy on condition, with someone who knows these cars if you can, and see if the seller will let you read error codes before purchase.

Immediately after purchase (if you find the right one) get it booked in at a well respected independent, and pay them to crawl over the car looking for issues. If they find any, you have I think 30 days to reject the car for any reason minus reasonable admin costs. Depending on what is found, you might instead at that point press the supplying garage to repair, as they are obliged to do for existing faults.

Good luck, lovely cars.

Just for some context.

I was looking for an E320 211 for about 6 months from Aug 2019 to Feb 2020. Either saloon with folsing seats or estate, but I was after a 2008/2009, and would have gone to a touch over 100k miles on clock.
Budget was up to £7k, which at that time was almost the most expensive 211 on AutoTrader (baring a few 30k miles garage queens at £10k).

Only 1 came up in that time that was really promising, that went in 1 day. I didn't realise how quick I needed to be on the pounce.

The reality of the rest was that after many trips to cars that looked good online, in the flesh they had many issued and rough spots, body damage, obvious repairs, ECU error codes suggesting some costly repairs, air con not working or on the way out, and in many many cases, evidence of water leaks in the boot.

I ended up with a 2011 w212 E350 for around my top budget. They were much more plentiful, and therefore I fell into that purchase off this forum.

Roll forward covid car buying, and prices have gone up quite a bit, and everyone will be trying their luck with their selling price.
So with the car you are looking at, my strongest advice is buy on condition, with someone who knows these cars if you can, and see if the seller will let you read error codes before purchase.

Immediately after purchase (if you find the right one) get it booked in at a well respected independent, and pay them to crawl over the car looking for issues. If they find any, you have I think 30 days to reject the car for any reason minus reasonable admin costs. Depending on what is found, you might instead at that point press the supplying garage to repair, as they are obliged to do for existing faults.

Good luck, lovely cars.
That great info - really appreciated thanks.

So I guess the ability to return it after an inspection only applies to a fairly reputable trade seller? There seem to be so many driveway dealerships on eBay/AT etc.

Is it worth me getting a code reader?

I guess I am looking for a bargain unicorn then!

I’ve already figured I need to compromise- sadly probably on colour as there seem to be so many silver ones. Am I right in thinking the sport model has a stiffer ride? The styling does seem better. However if I can still mess about with the gears on the gear stick, I could forego the flappy paddles…….. or could I….

How easy is it to retrofit the head unit with a better model - I’ve seen a few with the basic one (20 I think).
Obviously im not too bothered about actual navigation but the sound I’ve got in mine (and it’s not hk) is really good especially when compared to the Clk I had back in 07.

I can see why so many people just get an A6/8 as there are less options and they all look the same.

She’s sat in the driveway looking forlorn.

It might not be a unicorn search, just the luck of the draw a lot of time with (now) older and rarer cars like these (e.g. it's not like buying a 3 year old Golf or Focus, where you are tripping over them and they are almost at the commodity level).

You might get most lucky buying privately, but buyer beware! You're on your own with faults.

The law is that any trader must offer a no quibble return within the first X days, but as you rightly surmise, getting this from a shady trader could be less straight forward compared with a larger trader who has a reputation to loose.

You will need to decide which of the two routes above is for you. I'm pretty handy with cars, and therefore was able to go private with some confidence.

In terms of stereo upgrades, there will be no value for money benefit in buying a car and upgrading. if you want a car with the better stereo, the only sensible financial way to achieve that is just buy the car with the bits you want, or compromise and don't have some of the bits you want.

That was one of the reasons I probably didn't end up finding a car in 6 months. E.g. heated seats was something I wanted, and I was gobsmacked by how many didn't have heated leather.

It might not be a unicorn search, just the luck of the draw a lot of time with (now) older and rarer cars like these (e.g. it's not like buying a 3 year old Golf or Focus, where you are tripping over them and they are almost at the commodity level).

You might get most lucky buying privately, but buyer beware! You're on your own with faults.

The law is that any trader must offer a no quibble return within the first X days, but as you rightly surmise, getting this from a shady trader could be less straight forward compared with a larger trader who has a reputation to loose.

You will need to decide which of the two routes above is for you. I'm pretty handy with cars, and therefore was able to go private with some confidence.

In terms of stereo upgrades, there will be no value for money benefit in buying a car and upgrading. if you want a car with the better stereo, the only sensible financial way to achieve that is just buy the car with the bits you want, or compromise and don't have some of the bits you want.

That was one of the reasons I probably didn't end up finding a car in 6 months. E.g. heated seats was something I wanted, and I was gobsmacked by how many didn't have heated leather.
Thanks for all the info - I followed your advice and managed (I think) to get a good one.
I had narrowed it down to 2 private sales and 2 traders, but as all were over an hour and half away, it seemed like the traders wouldn’t necessarily be any easier afterwards.
I’ve just had it inspected and my local garage and apart from an exhaust bracket and the level sensor for the headlights they gave it a clean bill of heath (phew!!!)

Thanks for all the info - I followed your advice and managed (I think) to get a good one.
I had narrowed it down to 2 private sales and 2 traders, but as all were over an hour and half away, it seemed like the traders wouldn’t necessarily be any easier afterwards.
I’ve just had it inspected and my local garage and apart from an exhaust bracket and the level sensor for the headlights they gave it a clean bill of heath (phew!!!)
Fab! Right, now photos 👍 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom