w211 320 sitting very low this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyW124

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
:dk:

left my house this morning for work and had a gander at the cars on the drive before leaving (as you do) and the 211 was sitting flat on the ground.

The front end has drooped so low that the tyres are hitting the front fenders. I literally cnt put any fingers through.

Has it lost some air in the suspension? it doesn't have airmatic. i.e. the button you usually get next to the gear box. this is a face lift version with the pointed grill. Wondering if it may be SLS issue if it has it?

Note: this is not loss of tyre pressure the front wheels are actually smacking the front fender:eek:

couldnt investigate more otherwise i was gna run late. its gna bug me for the rest of the day.

just phoned my old man to switch the car on to see if it may raise..no joy.

must be catching as i looked at my 211 270cdi and it is sitting very low as well, gonna take a trip to the mechanic to check it out..

must be catching as i looked at my 211 270cdi and it is sitting very low as well, gonna take a trip to the mechanic to check it out..

keep us posted, this isn't what i wanted to deal with at the begining of the week.

..and i know the dealers are gna be complete tossers. it doesnt even look like the the car can drive. Its like someone overnight has chopped two coils off the springs.

I can confirm the car was completely fine sitting last night, hadnt been used since Saturday, and this morning slammed. Looks good though!

Last edited:
I expect your front springs are broken. It often happens when the car is just standing.

Last edited:
The front spring on my w211 snapped while the car was standing in a hotel car park overnight. Set off the alarm.

ok so phoned the dealer and supplied the VIN. Car does not have air suspension.

are all roads pointing to bust springs then?

Here was mine from the other week.

spring.jpg

The indy who fixed it said he has a few each week... One guy was sat in his garden and heared a bang, went to look what it could be and noticed his car a few inches lower than normal :)

Here was mine from the other week.

The indy who fixed it said he has a few each week... One guy was sat in his garden and heared a bang, went to look what it could be and noticed his car a few inches lower than normal :)

solid proof, i really hope its a snapped springs.

all threads especially camera's read seem this way.

usually have both left/ right sides done together... if both back springs are ok; I'd leave those for another day ;-)

usually have both left/ right sides done together... if both back springs are ok; I'd leave those for another day ;-)

oh yes for sure, it will be done in pairs. But logically im thinking best to do all four.

Who knows when the rears will go? its the fronts that seem the common failure. Of course will have to confirm if it is indeed busted springs.

is there instances of rear failures that anybody knows of?

My rear spring went unexpectedly... And MB payed for it... I think the point I'm trying to make is; on modern big cars springs are a known weak point... but one could be wasting money if they haven't actually broken?
Perhaps have a look at them... if they appear in good condition with no signs of corrosion, maybe save your money for when you r going to need it :)

Thank you very much camera. I have now joined the broken spring club!

will have to get the replaced.

i'm going to have a butchers this eve.

would it be a safe bet to change the rear too?
I just did the fronts Billy. Mine is an estate so has self-levelling suspension on the rear. This may go some way to easing the strain on the rear springs.

If you've got a jack, some axle stands and somewhere safe to work then removing/re-fitting the struts is a piece of cake really. You will need a decent floor standing spring compressor though to remove/replace the spring.

Last edited:
My rear spring went unexpectedly... And MB payed for it... I think the point I'm trying to make is; on modern big cars springs are a known weak point... but one could be wasting money if they haven't actually broken?
Perhaps have a look at them... if they appear in good condition with no signs of corrosion, maybe save your money for when you r going to need it :)

Thanks Rascal, could have done the warranty thing but sods low it ran out last month. I'm pretty sure suspension was included.

it was tier 2 i think off the top of my head.

arranged for my local guy to have a look at my yard in the eve hopefully. Either way the car is going to have to be towed.

i don't think springs are covered by tier 1 or 2 warranties, but mb did mine out of goodwill (i paid for the other one to make it a pair).
a good stealer like mine (ipswich) is a useful ally for goodwill stuff ;-)

Just get your guy to remove them in your yard if its safe to leave the car on stands. Much cheaper than towing. :thumb:

true say, but im on an incline, dont think its going to be safe. dont want a broken person as well as broken spings! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom