W211 A/C Thumbwheels Repair/Replace?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeftBrain

Car
'03 E220 CDI, '85 300TD
The vent control thumbwheels on my center nozzles have deteriorated and the colored rubber coating is coming undone. The thumbwheels are not listed as a separate part, but on inspection I think a savvy tech type (like me) could remove and replace, or repair, these things.

Anyone have a similar experience that would share how it was resolved short of ordering the whole shootinmatch for $253 USD?

125394700.bkgsXp6h.jpg

125394698.b8BrTcAf.jpg

125394699.rAeGbOv0.jpg

My advice would be to trawl through the spares on Ebay and see if anyone is offering a vent pack from a car they are breaking.

Then just replace the whole lump - unless you want the challenge of fiddling with it of course!

My advice would be to trawl through the spares on Ebay and see if anyone is offering a vent pack from a car they are breaking.

Then just replace the whole lump - unless you want the challenge of fiddling with it of course!

Hi Corned,

That's a good approach. Thanks.

I wonder if these things have a propensity for deteriorating? Or am I just lucky? Seems not many others have had the same problem, or maybe they we more easily resigned to either living with it or parting with the cash to replace the center nozzle assembly.

I promise you that I would relish the opportunity to replace the knobs alone! If they were available.

Mine are like new, and it's a high-miler, plus I have not seen anyone else's look worn like that.

I don't know if the Florida weather has anything to do with it, but how long has the car been out there? Not too long, I imagine? Was it in Belgium before, did I read?

Certainly I would say it is an uncommon problem.

Mine are like new, and it's a high-miler, plus I have not seen anyone else's look worn like that.

I don't know if the Florida weather has anything to do with it, but how long has the car been out there? Not too long, I imagine? Was it in Belgium before, did I read?

Certainly I would say it is an uncommon problem.

Records show car came over in 2006. In every other respect the car doesn't show sun damage. The dash and upholstery are all nice as is the rubber around the doors, etc.

I will continue looking over the eBay listings for a center nozzle unit as corned suggested.

I'll also pull the unit out and look it over for a manufacturers logo and see if they may be able to offer the thumbwheels individually. Wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom