W211 and the Radiator issues? behr?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A210AMG

MB Enthusiast
Hello

My dad helped me today collecting some stuff from our local B&Q, anyway when back home I had a quick look under the engine.

On part of the Rad as you look down at the Rad it has a sticker BEHR

So what does this mean?

The car was bought new in 2003 by him, Its a E320Cdi Estate? if that makes a difference. Its currently on 126K miles and is serviced by Mercedes.

It it time to worry? Without the forum talk about this I / we would be none the wiser.

Thanks in advance

I think BEHR is the manufacturer of the rad. It's normally the Valeo rads that can cause problems on some cars.

Hello

My dad helped me today collecting some stuff from our local B&Q, anyway when back home I had a quick look under the engine.

On part of the Rad as you look down at the Rad it has a sticker BEHR

So what does this mean?

The car was bought new in 2003 by him, Its a E320Cdi Estate? if that makes a difference. Its currently on 126K miles and is serviced by Mercedes.

It it time to worry? Without the forum talk about this I / we would be none the wiser.

Thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure it's the intercooler that you have seen.

Thanks,

Where do I need to look and what serial numbers / part numbers etc should I look at?

Sweetpea is on the money here. What you are looking at is the turbo intercooler.

You need to search on here for 'valeo radiator' and see what others have posted on how to determine which manufacturer's radiator you have installed on your car. It's not straight forward!

The way the radiator is made is the easy identifier. There is a thread on the forum with pictures of both Valeo and Behr radiators and how to easily identify each type.

You have more than likely looked at the intercooler as I believe they were all manufactured by Behr

I think it would have failed by now if it was was going to go. Mine went at 30,000 miles from memory, under warranty thankfully, on our 53 reg E320 CDI.

Some people have done over 100K in the car with a valeo radiator before they were aware of the valeo problems and it not fail on them. So I wouldn't necessarily say its failed.

Firsts step is to identify radiator, if valeo, carry out glycol contamination test. If in the clear change the rad asap. If contaminated more work is required, on the gearbox side of things.

I have never been particulary taken by the concept of "wet" transmission coolers at all and a while back was wondering if, as it is pretty easy to fit an additional transmission cooler for towing, it would be workable to fit a somewhat larger cooler, bypass the whole wet cooler arrangement and eliminate a source of misery.

Presume some kind of thermostat be required to avoid overcooling?

Does anywhere know where the 'picture' thread is... so I can spot whats in my dads car?

Thanks

Checked mine, only way to see manufacturer plate was to remove front slam panel, pleased to see a BEHR nameplate - no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom