W211 and W210 steel rim compatibility.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJMallinson

Car
W210 E320 CDi Elegance estate 2001
Hi all. New member here so apologies if doing this wrong.
I have W210 E320 CDi estate and want to fit set of winter tyres to steel rims. I'm hoping I can use W211 steel rims as they are a thousand times easier to source. However, I appreciate that for alloy wheels there is a wheel bolt diameter change from 210 to 211, from 12mm to 14mm, but a special set of bolts is required and readily available. The key question is, does the same apply to steel rims. I am guessing it does but the bolts must be much shorter and perhaps not readily available since there would much less if any demand! A bit of an obscure question but I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

steel rims for w210

You might find it easier to buy another set of alloy rims,dronsfields had set on ebay with quite a low starting price,49.99,then 20 to send,elegance style from that era,then you would avoid chasing about for the shorter bolts for steel rims which even second hand can be surprisingly expensive,the wheels mentioned were 15" and 195/65/15 tyres for those can be about £48 from the likes of mytyres.co.uk and will keep you moving in winter,these were dunlop,so decent reputation.Steel rims are also quite expensive second hand for some reason.

tyre size

Sorry,having seen that the rims were for e320cdi,then I think the tyre on that in 15"guise would be 205/60/15H which would probably be more like £80,but the rims previously mentioned were 7x15 so would take those tyres

Have you checked the 'Sticky' at the start of this section? It may help - I haven't checked it myself as I'm in a rush to go out.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

Many thanks for that info. The reason for pursuing steel rims was because I have been advised by various people that they are more suitable for winter tyres because There's less chance of common problems from salt corrosion effects causing loss of seal when wheels not in use and stored. But maybe this is academic only. I shall check because indeed just using alloys would be very much simpler.

Many thanks for reply and welcome. Yes I did check that out and it was most helpful. You'll see my further queery about importance or not of using steel rims in preference to alloy for winter tyres.

I have a set of genuine MB w210 steel wheels complete with wheel trims and a full set of the correct MB bolts on ebay at the moment. They are used and not the prettiest in the world, but completely functional. If you're interested you can have the lot for £25.

320cdi will need 16" fronts, that's why you're having issues sourcing them I imagine.
You should be able to collect 4 as there are lots of cars being broken which have the 16" spare.

I wouldn't touch 211 steels as the offset is wrong for you as well as the additional bolts needed to make them work.

Thats a very kind offer. Thanks very much I'll have a look on Ebay.

Thanks V12. Yes quite, though the offset difference is only +1mm. But the bolts are certainly another £40. Have searched for 210 steel spares and they seem surprisingly hard to find. Those I have seem pretty scruffy. Good advice though, TVM.

I'll get my coat then, I though it was ET37 vs ET42 for some reason.

Ring round the merc breakers...you'll have your wheels in less than half an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom