W211 ATF Cooler Concern

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Voltan, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Voltan

Voltan Member

Car:
    W211 E220CDi, W220 S320CDi
    Hello and Merry Xmas everyone,

Being a Dec 2003 built W211 220 CDI owner with 115K km , I am getting concern with the horror stories of auto transmission failures due to coolant contaminated ATF due to leaks from the Valeo supplied radiators (I’m not sure what make mine is as I cannot find any marking). Other than a gas leak in the aircon evaporator coil (replaced with an OEM), the car is trouble free, economical and a joy to drive.

As an alternative to changing the radiator to a better one, what if I were to install an air cooled ATF heat exchanger, placed ahead of the radiator, bypassing the radiator embedded current one entirely. I am quoted an equivalent of £120.00 all inclusive for it.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. Druk

Druk Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
    Hi Voltan.

I mused on doing just this on another thread re: Valeo radiators. I would be fascinated to know the details of the type/size of cooler suggested.

3. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    I'd say its a worthwhile mod @ £120, especially if you tow with the car. Its also a definate way to stop coolant leaks from radiators, its not impossible in theory for the behr one to leak coolant.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Using an air type exchanger would obviously remove the issue of coolant leakage but you should find out in advance whther the transmission also uses the heat from the radiator to warm the ATF to operating temperature and then hold it there.

Member Buggerlugs can probably answer whether there is a requirement for heating the ATF on this box.

5. OP
    OP
    Voltan

Voltan Member

Car:
    W211 E220CDi, W220 S320CDi
    Thanks for the response. Since getting your views I discussed them with the workshop that offers the mod. Unfortunately, the boss is overseas on vacation and his senior mechanic is concern of the unknowns and thus recommended that I address the queries directly with him. Will keep you posted.

6. DieselE

DieselE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E320CDi
    If you're sure that the build date is correct then you are outside the range (up to Sep 03) where Valeo radiators were fitted.