w211 Audio 50 APS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malc_n

Car
CLS350cdi
Hi

Does anyone on here have any first hand experiece of the Audio 50 APS in the new E Class ? I have on order, but looking thru some of the post on a German forum, there have been quite a few problems...

Any info would be appreciated (before you ask, I ordered the car before the COMAND was available, and when I asked about changing the order was told I would probably lose my build slot, so would have to wait even longer...)

Cheers

Malc

fear not

Well, I dont know about the APS 50 but MB have released an upgrade kit from APS 50 to comand.

no details yet but I wil post the part number asap.

:)

I was playing about with DVD comand yesterday with my 6310i and still have a smile on my face :)

Its amasing.:D

The audio 50 i played with was good too.

I have got the W211 estate pricelist in front of me just now and there is some heated discussion on whether we need the harman kardon logic 7 system :D

How long are they talking about if you change your order?

@fuzzer .... picked up a brochure for the W211 Estate last week.... didn't dare pick up a price list LOL :D

What model are u thinking of ?

S.

Reading the US forums I didn't think it was possible to go from 50 APS to Command.

I didn't bother with the Audio 50 APS as for the price it offered pretty primative text only navigation.

From what I hear the HK Logic 7 audio kit is excellent.

The command is available now, my dealer had a car in stock yesterday with it fitted so I don't see how you could loose your build slot.

Thanks for the input guys

Not sure what the extra delay would be, I ordered the car (e270 avantgarde) at the beginning of February, and its due to be delivered to the dealer on 14th July, so I think I've waited long enough and was scared to ask !! If I had been prepared to move on options I could of had a car in a couple of weeks, but I'm stuck with it for 3 years and will put around 90k on it, so wanted it to be right (I made that mistake once before....)

The dealer I spoke to said the Logic sound system wasnt worth the money, but I have heard conflicting views, the missus decided we could do without in the end (and she wanted Parktronic, and as she drives a tiny clio most of the time I thought that a wise move....). Would be interested to hear though, I've not found one as yet, all the delaer cars I have seen have had the std system...

Cheers

Malc

Hi Richard

I think the delays where going to be down to changing the order, as its being delivered in a few weeks chances are its been built now, or in the process of...

I was worried about the downgrade on navigation, used to nice scrolling maps and things, so I drove my last car for a couple of weeks with the maps turned off and just big arrows and I managed, didnt want to make things untidy with an aftermarkey setup, and as I said, when I ordered it wasnt an option.

really want to hear the HK system, if it is any good I'll be kicking myself (or a certain MB dealer, wouldn't dare try and kick the missus!)

Originally posted by sym
@fuzzer .... picked up a brochure for the W211 Estate last week.... didn't dare pick up a price list LOL :D

What model are u thinking of ?

S.

It will just be another E220 CDI estate. Not avantgarde tho , we prefer the brown wood.

Just adding a few options tipped the scale at £39k :crazy:

Ive got the old spreadsheets on the go anyway :D The dealer was talking about september build for a factory order on it.

We will see ...

Originally posted by malc_n
Hi Richard

I think the delays where going to be down to changing the order, as its being delivered in a few weeks chances are its been built now, or in the process of...

I was worried about the downgrade on navigation, used to nice scrolling maps and things, so I drove my last car for a couple of weeks with the maps turned off and just big arrows and I managed, didnt want to make things untidy with an aftermarkey setup, and as I said, when I ordered it wasnt an option.

really want to hear the HK system, if it is any good I'll be kicking myself (or a certain MB dealer, wouldn't dare try and kick the missus!)

Makes sense that close to production loosing the build slot if you change the options.

The standard kit in the W211 is excellent anyway so I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with it. In my opinion the 50 APS looks much neater in the dash than the standard unit I've got (although command does look better still!).

I'm sure you'll love the car when you get it, don't forget to post some pictures!

A note from my "man in Germany" re the APS 50 to comand upgrade...

Part number :- A211 820 03 36.

" it is a set of special things you need to easy install the w211 comand!

It is an official mercedes package for easy removing the aps 50 and installing the new comand system, because lots of clients want to exchange the aps 50 against the comand"

Not sure if uk dealers will offer this . List price is £2,500 + VAT

:)

Thanks for the info Steve.

From the price is assume it isnt a trade in deal, so you could try and sell the APS 50 on... Dont think the missus will be too keen on that one for a while !!! Quite a bit above the cost as a factory fit option.. Think I'll be making do with arrows rather than maps for the foreseeable future...

The new command works from a DVD in the boot, so I assume that will need to be installed.

In the US a lot of members ordered their new W211's and pre-paid for Command to be fitted at a later date as it wasn't available at time of ordering. MB USA have now come back to all these customers saying they won't be able to retro fit Command (apparently they have changed the design and manufacturer completely as they had problems with the initial design) so are offering all these people new cars as replacements. There is lots of talk about it on the US forums.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom