W211 auto gear box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musonic

Car
E320 Cdi 2006
I bought a 2006 E class (W211) a month or so ago. All was fine at first, but I'm now beginning to feel like I've bought a lemon. It's had a full service and nothing major was discovered so I thought all was well. However, in the last week or so two issues have cropped up that concern me.

The first is that the auto gear box seems to move up through the gears very quickly resulting in there being very very poor acceleration. If I'm going up hill it seems very reluctant to switch down the gears and instead I end up either having to manually change down or chugging up the hill hoping to get to the top. I'm sure that it wasn't doing this before when I first bought the car. Any ideas?

The second issue (which I should probably post in the suspension forum) is that the passenger side rear sinks down when the engine is turned off. The wheel starts to disappear under the wheel arch. When the engine starts it lifts up but there is clearly something not right with the self-levelling suspension.

I really hope that there isn't going to be a continuous stream of faults...

I really hope that there isn't going to be a continuous stream of faults...

That's all we can all hope for really...

Take it to a decent inde recommended from here based on your location and get it sorted.

They are great cars when running nicely.

Re Autobox:

1. The automatic transmission may need reset and re-learning, see also: Reset Transmission Adaptive Shifting - How to Programming Instructions DIY – MB Medic

2. The automatic transmission may need ATF and filter change - when was this last done? It's due at 37,500 miles / 4 years.

3. The automatic transmission may need a software update (requires MB STAR diagnostic computer).

4. The automatic transmission may have a fault (requires MB STAR diagnostic computer).

Well these gearboxes have the annoying habit of slightly going wrong ,you know as the driver that they are just not right but they record no faults for Star to view,as markjay suggests try the reset it is easy to do,it may solve the problem,if it does not take it to a indy,if you do decide to get the ATF and filter changed get the indy to clean the speed plate as well it is only a small extra cost they will clean the valves and also where they sit in the speed plate ,otherwise you will pay for the gearbox service and then if the problems still exist you will have to pay all over again and have the speed plate looked at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom