W211 auto transmission vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gipsyracer

Car
2007 E280 Avantgarde Estate
I've searched in vain for a match to my exact problem, any suggestions appreciated. The car is worth very little, so its a case of fix this myself (I'm an engineer), or bin it.

E280D S211, 2007, 214,000 miles and counting. Always serviced according to MB schedule, mine for 8+ years.

Starting from cold, there is a significant vibration which seems to come from the auto transmission. The engine starts and runs easily and smoothly from cold. The vibration is there in park, drive, reverse (worse) and neutral. Pulling away, the vibration is absent, except on over-run or when stationary. After a few miles (move to slow idle?), the vibration is almost gone, but slightly evident on over-run.

Working perfectly in every other respect, so I would rather keep the car going until something properly catastrophic happens, maybe another 250,000 miles?

Any ideas?

I had the same symptoms and I thought it was gearbox mount but turned out to be engine mounts on mine. I think you can do a test (seen a vid on YouTube) to see how much your engine moves. New engine mounts cured mine 100%

I had very similar symptoms as you describe. All 3 three engine mounts replaced were replaced and the result has transformed the car in terms of smoothness and vibration.

Try Autodoc for some good value Lemforder engine mounts , I got 2 of them and The tranny mount for a shade over £100 for my W211

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom