W211 Bike Rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Stanton

To compliment my nice new shiney car I've just purchased a new mountain bike. Problem is I can only find two bike racks for the W211.

The first is made by Halfords and is about £60. Clips over the boot with big yellow plastic bits and straps and looks really cheap (Very similar to my roof mounted version that I've just skipped as I no longer have a roof rack (and it was crap)). Looks like a huge paint chip-accident waiting to happen.

The other is made by (called?) Hollywood . A bit more substantial and has foam padding in the right places. Still uses straps to tie it to the boot lid though and I can still see paint damage coming with it as it rubs away.

I don't have a toe bar so that rules out most of the heavy weight brackets and don't want to go back to the roof rack version.

Do any of you have experiences with these high level mounted models or recommendations on other products? I need to carry 2 adult and 1 childs bike.

Ta

Andy

Thought there was a specific MB one. I shall check

I got a AVENIR VERMONT 3 bike carrier, this is a high level rack that carries the bikes on runners, it's made of aluminium tubing and is very secure and well built. The bikes don't move about and are held so they don't damage each other or the car. The straps that attach to the car have plastic coated (wide) hooks that have not caused me any problems. I don't need a lighting board or No. plate as the bikes are carried high enough.

I got a bargain on Ebay for mine, you will find one at;

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=17231

Hope this helps. :cool:

USE the bike instead of carrying around on the car? ;)

ill get my coat.........

I got my THULE ones for my W202 from www.roofrackwarehouse.co.uk

Very nice stuff and looks great, and easy to fit once you figure it out.

Next day delivery.

lookskyward1 said:
I got a AVENIR VERMONT 3 bike carrier, this is a high level rack that carries the bikes on runners, it's made of aluminium tubing and is very secure and well built. The bikes don't move about and are held so they don't damage each other or the car. The straps that attach to the car have plastic coated (wide) hooks that have not caused me any problems. I don't need a lighting board or No. plate as the bikes are carried high enough.

I got a bargain on Ebay for mine, you will find one at;

http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=17231

Hope this helps. :cool:

Thanks everyone.

The MB one is ruled out due to cost (£300+) and I seem to remember it requiring a toe bar to rest on.

The others I shall be checking out today.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom