W211 Bilstein suspension upgrade...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st4

Banned
Car
C220cdi tourer
Well, here goes.

I replaced the OEM suspension on my car (W211 E320cdi V6CDI sports) for Eibach lowering springs and B12 Blistein dampers.

As you can see the car is lowered considerably.
New

469592_10150998151009359_745444358_12100273_1059224628_o.jpg

Old

DSC_0220.jpg

459537_10150775371229359_745444358_11593089_1540724089_o.jpg

As we know, reducing a cars ride height reduces pitch and roll and therefore can impart a better ride quality. So does it?

No, it doesn't. The dampers are much firmer.

So what good is it. The answer is a lot. The car feels tighter to drive, is able to change direction more quickly which imparts a safety benefit. It makes it more progressive to drive and the car corners a bit flatter, and a bit harder.

Lowering the car has also improved efficiency, I notice at motorway speeds a 2mpg improvement. This is good.

Actually, there is little bad I can say about this set up, it enhances the way the car drives, removes the 211 spring weaknesses with replacing with better quality parts.

Remember, its a modification. I had to change insurer from swift cover as they would not cover a modified car, and I approached Adrain Flux which organised a quote that was little more than what I was paying Swift Cover.

I'd recommend this modifcation to anyone who is looking to change their suspension, or who has a 211 who's springs are tired.

Its given the car an ability to travel cross country as rapidly as a C class sport with the optional drivers package (adjustable dampers)

414959_10150998125524359_745444358_12100065_618545611_o.jpg

Oh. As its lowered, be careful in supermarkets and loose road surfaces, it doesn't do these quite as well.

I am looking to, if I keep the car for another two years to change to non OEM wheels that do not corrode?

What would the panel recommend. I quite like the AMG wheels and painted black I think would set the car off nicely. Mine take 265 tyres, the AMGs take 285's so maybe a little more grip at the back?

Or some BBS wheels, or would these look silly on a Mercedes?

I can mod the car nicely now, insurance scheme I am in is great for that, declare and pay up.

Last edited:
Steve

Sits nice, I love the B12 kits had them on a previous W210. Take a look at Forgestar F14's in black they look nice on a silver saloon they are also very light.

View attachment 29935
Lopes80 has BBS LM's on his car so take a look.

Last edited:
I like them. I'd go no larger than an 19inch wheel and preferably a 18inch wheel but that car looks magic.

BBS's in gloss black with silver lip. Would look amazing.

Last edited:
We ll talk about wheels on wednesday. I'm so pleased you like the way the car is now. Once you lower a car , you will always lower every car you have.

I like them. I'd go no larger than an 19inch wheel and preferably a 18inch wheel but that car looks magic.

BBS's in gloss black with silver lip. Would look amazing.

ride quality on 19" is likely to be uncomfortable ...

Before
ee856601.jpg

After
a886a690.jpg

Handling massively improved, along with the looks!

It'll grow on you Steve, till you wonder how you managed to drive around on stilts!!

We ll talk about wheels on wednesday. I'm so pleased you like the way the car is now. Once you lower a car , you will always lower every car you have.

Agree. Wish I bought a bogo standard car, saved money and done the suspension this way....

Looking forward to Wednesday and I'll rant and rave about how nice and direct she is to drive.

ride quality on 19" is likely to be uncomfortable ...

I saw Lopes80's posts re this and he went for 18's. I'd quite like the wheels you have, but get them painted black,

Before
ee856601.jpg

After
a886a690.jpg

Handling massively improved, along with the looks!

It'll grow on you Steve, till you wonder how you managed to drive around on stilts!!

Loving it Peter, agree re the drive and the looks. Awesome. Just not for roadworks with loose chippings and speed bumps.

Have learnt great respect for speed bumps/car park ramps/raised curbs!!

Just don't try and straddle those annoying speed humps 'cos it will rip the exhaust off!

I'd quite like the wheels you have, but get them painted black,

not a fan of black wheels

would just changing the springs give reduced roll but with comfort of the OEM dampers?

with regards to the wheels BBS may look silly as they are better suited to old BMWs and VAG cars but i supose it depends on which you choose

Try AMG/Brabus/Lorinser or Carlsson give an idea of what suits mercs i think

not a fan of black wheels

Fair do. On a silver or white or black car they can look great IMHO.

would just changing the springs give reduced roll but with comfort of the OEM dampers?

with regards to the wheels BBS may look silly as they are better suited to old BMWs and VAG cars but i supose it depends on which you choose

Try AMG/Brabus/Lorinser or Carlsson give an idea of what suits mercs i think

Whilst the dampening is harsher, it does allow for a better driving experience.

One thing to note is the suspension travel is less, so you can smack the bottom of the car off the road, which I have done and it was very very funny....

Aye, I see also what you mean about the wheels, I will look at these other makes too.

Worth remembering Steve, the lowest the car can go is the same as with standard suspension (fully laden). It's just the starting height that is different

Worth remembering Steve, the lowest the car can go is the same as with standard suspension (fully laden). It's just the starting height that is different

So the undertray was destined to be whacked off the road, good, I will rest easy.

Never have the car fully laden, even with tents and BBQ's its ok

So the undertray was destined to be whacked off the road, good, I will rest easy.

Never have the car fully laden, even with tents and BBQ's its ok

I was concerned the car would bottom out with 5 up but Bilstein stated it can't go any lower than MB designed it to. I had problems with humps even before the drop!

look out for new/nearly new AMG wheels on eBay .. lots of them

Someone was selling a nice set off a C63, would they fit. 18's and with black paint, looked awesome. Will keep an eye out ;)

Fair do. On a silver or white or black car they can look great IMHO.

I think for black wheels, have a look at how the 911 sport classic fuchs alloys look with the big polished lip- i think thats the classiest black wheel around .
worth replicating that style if you choose to paint them

wheel-wizard | eBay

i just bought my silver arrow with the 2 piece split rims from this chap

he refurbs old school genuine wheels as well as sells mercs

Remember that extra tyre grip will impart on your fuel economy too - more grip, more rolling resistance.

... and more expensive tyres - considerably more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom