W211 Bonnet stuck.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chesterpiglet

Car
Mercedes W211 E280 Cdi Sport Estate
Hi all.
I have had this happen with at least one of my E Classes- I was able to get it open on these occasions & clean the faces(a little lip can form too)& lubricate. However without warning, on pulling the bonnet release the right hand side unlatches but not the left & as a result the little tag on the grill does not pop out to release it fully. I have tried opening when hot, when cold, gently pushing the bonnet down, tapping around it all without success. A Youtube video shows it is possible to access from underneath the car by removing the plastic cover & triggering the latch with a screwdriver. Any other suggestions before I take it to my local mechanic with a ramp. Thanks as always. Rob

I sorted out this problem three times recently ... a MB C-class; a MB E-Class; a BMW Mini
I think the weather and lack of use due to lock-downs has not helped. In each case, I freed it by getting someone to pull the bonnet catch and hold it, and then working the bonnet up and down vigorously until it freed the sticking latch.
Afterwards, a good coating of oil and then grease should keep it from recurring.

Many thanks Johnsco- you can add mine to your list of successes. Just as you said after 7 or 8 very firm tugs it released- the latch part was virtually seized solid & very difficult to move with just fingers. WD40 to free it up, then a little 3 in 1 oil & finally a covering of grease. I also cleaned all surfaces with fine wire wool including the loops on the bonnet & wiped them over with grease too. The central one on the bonnet was OK but I sprayed it just the same. Jobs a good un. Many thanks again- much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom