W211 boot leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEdu

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320CDi Estate - gone E320CDi Saloon - written off CLS 350CDi Coupé
Just been having exactly the same issue with my W211 as in previews threads.

At times, the very bottom liner in the boot has had close on an inch of water sloshing around - not great with the electrics in there.

Anyhow, I have been through much the same journey - stripping linings, pulling things apart, scratching my head, resealing around the rear lights, and so on!

Ultimately, after thinking that I'd solved the problem with the sealant around the lights, only to find yet more water ingress, I poured some water down the gullies and watched what happened.

Sure enough, water was finding its way in at the bottom right corner of the boot seal. It initially looked as though perhaps it was getting in where the bottom expansion fixing is, but no, it was getting in via the boot seal rubber.

I have now filled it with some Loctite non-setting sealant, the grey one designed for contact with water, and have then refitted it. I also took the opportunity to use the black Loctite to re-seat the plastic gutters, ensuring good coverage around fixings' holes.

The sealant has really helped to ensure any little holes should be filled and not a potential entry point for the H2O.
Tomorrow, I will test my handiwork to see if I have finally solved the problem after months of trying to figure it out. If successful, I can finally put it all back together once more! :D

Along the way, I did come across one difficulty, just how the heck do you remove the warning triangle holder from the boot lid liner? I undid the visible Torx screw, but still couldn't get the damn thing off! Is there a hidden fixing or something? Come on guys, somebody out there must have the secret.

Also, has anyone found a way to stop those really annoying drips of water that fall from the boot lid when you open it? They drive me mad, but as yet, I've not managed to figure out how to stop them. ; (

Many thanks everybody.

Success! (I hope!)

Gave the back end of the car a pretty thorough blast with a pressure washer this afternoon and the boot stayed dry! It looks as though using the sealant has done the trick and finally halted the flooding.

As it would appear to be a fairly common problem, I think my advice would be to start off with this and see how things go. To be fair, whilst re-sealing the rubber, it wouldn't take much effort to run some sealant around the rear light clusters too, just for good measure. :)

Anyhow, for now I'm one happy chappie! :D

you push it to the left. i sealed the 3rd brake light and all around the plastic rear number plate holder with black silicone , never had any h20 in since, id also recomend you remove the grommet under the spare wheel to let any water out.

At times, the very bottom liner in the boot has had close on an inch of water sloshing around - not great with the electrics in there.

Anyhow, I have been through much the same journey - stripping linings, pulling things apart, scratching my head, resealing around the rear lights, and so on!

Ultimately, after thinking that I'd solved the problem with the sealant around the lights, only to find yet more water ingress, I poured some water down the gullies and watched what happened.

Sure enough, water was finding its way in at the bottom right corner of the boot seal. It initially looked as though perhaps it was getting in where the bottom expansion fixing is, but no, it was getting in via the boot seal rubber.

I have now filled it with some Loctite non-setting sealant, the grey one designed for contact with water, and have then refitted it. I also took the opportunity to use the black Loctite to re-seat the plastic gutters, ensuring good coverage around fixings' holes.

The sealant has really helped to ensure any little holes should be filled and not a potential entry point for the H2O.
Tomorrow, I will test my handiwork to see if I have finally solved the problem after months of trying to figure it out. If successful, I can finally put it all back together once more! :D

Along the way, I did come across one difficulty, just how the heck do you remove the warning triangle holder from the boot lid liner? I undid the visible Torx screw, but still couldn't get the damn thing off! Is there a hidden fixing or something? Come on guys, somebody out there must have the secret.

Also, has anyone found a way to stop those really annoying drips of water that fall from the boot lid when you open it? They drive me mad, but as yet, I've not managed to figure out how to stop them. ; (

Many thanks everybody.

Glad to report that, having put lashings of black silicone around the boot seal, and around the lights, everything seem to be nice and dry! The only issue, as it were, is I still get that annoying drip from the lip of the boot lid when opening it.

I need to grab some black silicone for mine... got water in the boot as well.

I did a successful DiY on sealing 3rd brake light as water was finding its way into the lid.

Many thanks everybody.
I hope you can help, do you know how to remove these clips
bootleak01_d4f0f94cf21ace58971fc4614f2a7b9f933fd44d.jpg

I hope you can help, do you know how to remove these clips
bootleak01_d4f0f94cf21ace58971fc4614f2a7b9f933fd44d.jpg
Lift the central screw like thing with the edge of a screwdriver or any claw like tool , there no need to lift it all the way out , then prise out/ up the lower one in the same way

Get yourself some replacement trim clips from the bay then you won’t care when you break them.

Also - if you think you’ve got water coming in through very small cracks etc then get yourself some Captain Tolleys Capt Tolley and run it round the seams a couple of times.

I bought a trim removal kit and a selection pack of new fittings - just incase.

Many thanks everybody.

Hi Chris. Any chance you have pics of where you applied the sealant please?

Im having water collect in front passenger carpet. No water coming from front, so think it’s coming in from rear and making its way to the front somehow.

Im having water collect in front passenger carpet. No water coming from front, so think it’s coming in from rear and making its way to the front somehow.
Check the bulkhead ,under the scuttle tray , make sure all the drains are clear and clean.

Check the bulkhead ,under the scuttle tray , make sure all the drains are clear and clean.
+1 for this

Tis the season for Autumn leaf debris to have blocked the drains

Physically very unlikely to have come from the back to reach the front

Hi. Yes all checked those areas by myself as well as pcs. They couldn’t feel or see any water coming from the front when they tested. Suspect the water coming from rear so just wanted to address all possibilities

Sorry, didn't take any photos. From memory, I think I shipped the rubber seal off, applied the mastic, then refitted the strip. All I can remember is stripping pretty much everything from the area surrounding the boot and using several packs of the sealant.

Hi. Yes all checked those areas by myself as well as pcs. They couldn’t feel or see any water coming from the front when they tested. Suspect the water coming from rear so just wanted to address all possibilities
It'll not be filling up inside the boot then running into the front buddy . The boot would be soaking if it were the case. Pour boiling water down the front drains and look for water n steam running from the wheel arches underneath. 👍

Might be running in via the front screen then down the back of the engine bay pollen filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom