W211- Bop sound when i first drive away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rascalmaster

MB Enthusiast
Car
Brabus D5 (E280 CDI) Avantgarde, E280 CDI Sport Estate, E320 Avantgarde now sold
hi all; here's hoping some one wise will point me towards a solution...

when i start to drive away... within a couple of meters of the car starting to roll; i get a strange 'Bup' sound; from somewhere in the dash... almost the sort that you'd get when messing around with audio jacks and volume still turned up...
the rest of the journey is uneventful.

i know for a fact that there's something wrong with the command/ multi cd changer as the command dvd player wont recognise an audio cd and the multi changer sounds like it's in mono (very muted sound) when compared to a plugged in ipod or the radio.
the command is probably going to get changed under warranty...

any ideas about what might be the cause/ solution for this sound?

thanks in advance!

... have tried to start and drive away with ac, lights, seat heating etc etc off..... :-(

My lad has a hands free kit on his Focus:ban:It beeps as everything syncs up as he drives off. Is your command bopping not beeping.

The Boss had a beeping issue with his new motor too.

Various whirring noises are sometimes heard; which i have attributed to the command cd changer etc firing up; winding down.
This 'Bup' noise is a electric sound (could it be something to do with the brake systems?) that comes when the car just starts to move. Have tried leaving the command switched off... also tried waiting a while before driving (a few minutes) and it always comes soon after the car has started moving.

parking sensors?.... hmmm had them be a bit funny around the time when we had snow; but other than that have been fine.
i'll try switching off the sensors and see if it stops the sound (the 'bup' sound doesn't sound like the usual parking sensor sound though)

yes it happens as the car starts moving forward (at slow speed) and that too... only happens once until i park up again.
i notice it every morning as i drive down our driveway....

My lad has a hands free kit on his Focus:ban:It beeps as everything syncs up as he drives off. Is your command bopping not beeping.

The Boss had a beeping issue with his new motor too.

you should of showed him the way :D

parking sensors?.... hmmm had them be a bit funny around the time when we had snow; but other than that have been fine.
i'll try switching off the sensors and see if it stops the sound (the 'bup' sound doesn't sound like the usual parking sensor sound though)
I wasn't thinking of the usual sound I was wondering if the bup was caused by electrical contact noise when the sensors de-activate. Hey ho, looks as if its not that any way. I'll think some more...

^ Agree

Mine seems to talk to me when I start it up :)

even when I turn it off and don't get out straight away all sorts of noises things shutting down or turning off...

yeah guys; SBC sounds like a plausible suspect...
i understand that it powers up and pressurizes the system right from unlocking the car ?!
also; i tried deactivating the parking sensors and it didn't make the noise on start up this morning! THANKS Camerafodder!!! Hope this isn't coincidence; in which case that may point to a fault on the parking sensor?....
Oh the mind boggles :crazy:

I would bet that it is the brake pads offering slight resistance against the discs when first moved after an overnight layup. I.e. they are sticking slightly against the discs, and the noise is when they are forced to part.

thanks Corned... just had a peek under the bonet- driver's side there's a flap you can lift odd which reveals the brake fluid container; and it's almost empty!!

Yoinks! Not sure if that's where the noise is coming from, but as it obviously shouldn't be like that it makes sense to fix it ASAP. If the noise goes away after filling to the correct level, then result!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom