w211 break pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike75

Car
w211 e270 2003
Hi guys. How long can I drive with this pads?

ForumRunner_20150727_103333.jpg

Loads of life left in those pads.

Let me guess, the dealer has told you they need replacing?

The sensor looks nowhere near ready to light up.

Dealer told me it need to be changed. Yes. You are right. I really dont know what to do.

Sent from my LG-V500 using MBClub UK

Last edited:
dealer told me mine needed replacing 3 years ago!! lol
must think folks that work hard and end up buying a nice motor like a merc are stupid?!

Right. My local indie told me it will cost 300 euro and dealer wants to charge me 500 euro.

Right. My local indie told me it will cost 300 euro and dealer wants to charge me 500 euro.

Leave them they look fine. Unless the inner pad is down which I doubt.

Dealer told me it need to be changed. Yes. You are right. I really dont know what to do.

Your dealer are trying to get you to change those pads way before it's necessary. When you have around 5mm of brake pad remaining, that's the time to think about renewing them.

You have a built in brake sensor that will show as a warning in your cluster when its time to change them.
Carry on driving and don't worry.

I think pads are around 5 mm because the metal plate is 5 mm thik and the friction material is about as thik as the metal plate.

^ Really? It's not that obvious to me from your photo. In that case, wait until the sensor comes on and renew them.
You'll save a lot by doing it yourself as long as you take precautions with the SBC system.

SBC is the problem. My local indie doesnt has star in order to deactivate the SBC. Thats why I have to go to the dealer

I've had brake pads on a VW that were miraculously able to regenerate friction material over the course of a year since they went from 75% worn to 50% worn between services. It's just another trick in the main dealer handbook (alongside £25 windscreen washer top-ups etc...)

Keep in mind that dealers are supposed to tell the owners that the pads need replacing if they think that the pads won't last until the next service.

Same goes for other scheduled service items.

The dealers are supposed to cover all scheduled work during the annual service visits, not get the driver to come back to the garage in-between services just because the brake pads warning light came on or because the mileage reached 37,500 and the car is due an ATF change etc.

Of course the more frugal owner would prefer to make maximum use of every service part even if it means several visits to the workshop.

But overall dealers expect that the better ownership experience will be through having as little visits to the garage as posible.

And ultimately the dealer only recommends - the customer is the one who chooses whether to have the '75% worn' pads replaced now or later.

I am not suggesting that all dealers are 100% honest about these things, just saying that we should give them some leeway before passing judgment...

Keep in mind that dealers are supposed to tell the owners that the pads need replacing if they think that the pads won't last until the next service.

Maybe, but I've never had them say "Your brakes are [...]% worn but the wear sensor will tell you when they need replacing".

I've just had my mot done on my E320 by local garage, who advised the front pads were low [though no warning light showing]
Taking it in tomorrow for new ones. Why should it be more expensive than any other car, as a it's straight forward procedure?

I've just had my mot done on my E320 by local garage, who advised the front pads were low [though no warning light showing]
Taking it in tomorrow for new ones. Why should it be more expensive than any other car, as a it's straight forward procedure?

Not if it has SBC

As a newbie can you explain SBC?

SBC was the braking system used on pre-facelift 211s (up until 06-06) as well as other models and requires disengaging before you play with the brakes. Can be done via STAR, not too sure about other diagnostic equipment

Well, I had my front brake pads replaced by a small local garage, inc. new wear sensor, for just over £100.
Labour charge was £35 & the rest for parts & vat.
No problems.
Still can't see what SBC has got to do with it & I'm sure the garage haven't got any equipment specific to MB.

Not deactivating SBC when changing the brake pads is like working under the car without an axle stand - it's perfectly possible to do it without incident, but one day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom