W211 C320 CDI Performance/Economy Chip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex Argent

Car
E250 CDi Sport Auto
Hi All

Well I've started on the upgrades:bannana:......more news to follow shortly.

Has anyone any experience of these performance chips.....

Diesel Tuning Performance Chip Box Mercedes E320 CDI on eBay (end time 17-Nov-09 23:16:58 GMT)

How, if at all, would they affect any OEM warranty (although mine is just outside 3 years now)?

For less than £100, they certainly look comparable to Brabus and the like.

I'm more interested in the 'alleged' increase in torque rather than pure BHP, as I'm intending to tow a caravan now and again for the foreseeable future :ban:.

Having said all of this, the car's current performance seems significantly more than adequate (0-62mph in 7.5 secs DIESEL...DIESEL :eek:) although I have never tried towing the caravan yet, hence the question.

Do I stay as is, take a chance with this one, or go for the better known and respected chips, i.e. Brabus, etc, ??? :confused:

I suppose a Sprint Booster wouldn't go amiss also. The one 'negative' thing I have noticed since acquiring this car is the fairly lethargic throttle response when pulling away from standstill.....flooring it seems to do the job though :D. If anyone has one fitted to their W211 CDI (V6), then any information would be appreciated.

Many thanks for your responses.

Regards,

Alex

Last edited:
I would try towing with it first as the 320cdi is powerful enough!
If you want to improve the throttle response from the off the you can reset the throttle memory.
IIRC you turn the ignition on, but don't start the car, then push the accelerator to the floor and hold for 20 seconds. Then turn it off get out and lock the doors. Come back 5 mins later open up and off you go. You will find that it suddenly flies off the mark.
If you do fit the chip then your warranty may well be invalidated, so tread carefully.

Does resetting the throttle response in this manner work on a W203 270CDi also?
Sounds interesting as we bought the car second hand so giving it a reset may be worthwhile.

No reason why it shouldn't, anyway cant hurt so give it a go!

As advised, I would try towing first. Our Vito has the same V6 in a slightly different state of tune (somewhere between "280" and "320" spec.), and with 1500 kg caravan on the back the performance is 'brisk' :D

Normally i would also say get a remap but for £100 what have you got to lose and if you dont like it someone will take if off your hands on e bay asap.
Downside with any remap is when car sold you lose your money advantage with a box of any description is can be sold seperately and some money recovered.

Lynall

tuning boxes trick the engine into overfuelling, causing injector wear, poor running of engine and other such like. You'll need to declare the mod to the insurer and it could be a £ experience. I'd leave the car be, its a powerful big motor as it is

The throttle response thing does nothing, it is a con, purely a placebo.

Russ

I had mine done a month back, as I found that when we towed the caravan (1600kg) and loaded boot it was struggling a bit on the hills. Just come back from the New Forest, via the A34, and it was totally transformed - easy driving, minimual kick down, better MPG.

Sorry I have been a bit late getting back on this........work, work :rolleyes:

However, thanks to everyone for their advice.

I think I'll do as suggested above, i.e. try towing with it as is and make any decisions following that.

I'll try an ECU throttle reset tomorrow. I did this on my C320 last year, and must admit that I didn't notice much difference in the response. Maybe that is something to do with a torquey lump to start with though.

Thanks again to all.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom