W211 CD Changer Door stuck closed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevlaar

Car
'04 W211 E220 Cdi
Hi guys,

I'm sure this subject has been done to death, but recently bought a W211, and the CD changer door won't open, the CD changer itself works absolutely fine, but the door button doesn't appear to do anything.

I've tried removing/replacing certain fuses, resetting dash factory settings which hasn't done the trick. I've also tried physically pulling the door open, which resulted in the door stuck open by about 10-20mm. Pulling certain fuses again and resetting settings allowed the door to retract back into position, so SOMETHING works.

I've seen that a few people have suggested that you remove the changer and see if the motor/gearing has been disconnected/malfunctioning, so that's my next step, however hearing absolutely nothing when pressing the door button, would suggest there's a lack of signal somewhere.

Anyone have a definite fix on this?

Update, removed the changer, and disassembled the motor/gearing that controls the door opening/closing. Couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it, so I'm guessing the motor itself has died. Either that or the changer is still not receiving signal from the car somewhere down the line.

Does anyone local to Basingstoke have either a spare changer I could try to rule out the problem being the changer or the car? Otherwise I'll buy a second hand one with the hope that that one isn't broken either haha.

Kevlaar

Go see comand.co.uk in Lighwater, just up the M3.

The instruction to open that door is complicated - to prevent the CD's being ejected into a closed door. The head unit tells the AGW over the fibre optic, and the AGW tells the controller in that unit (the one with the buttons!) to open the door.

Its unlikely to be a CD changer problem. More likely a dead motor, and if going to buy something used i'd buy that compartment used on eBay rather that a CD changer !!

The risk is that costs you more than someone using Star Diagnosis to test things

The "switch" pack in the units can be swopped, but of course it could be that that has the issue, so i'd buy one with the same switches as yours, and easiest if the same wood !!

Cheers

Richard

Kevlaar

Go see comand.co.uk in Lighwater, just up the M3.

The instruction to open that door is complicated - to prevent the CD's being ejected into a closed door. The head unit tells the AGW over the fibre optic, and the AGW tells the controller in that unit (the one with the buttons!) to open the door.

Its unlikely to be a CD changer problem. More likely a dead motor, and if going to buy something used i'd buy that compartment used on eBay rather that a CD changer !!

The risk is that costs you more than someone using Star Diagnosis to test things

The "switch" pack in the units can be swopped, but of course it could be that that has the issue, so i'd buy one with the same switches as yours, and easiest if the same wood !!

Cheers

Richard

I've seen a couple of cheap changers on eBay, so I'll most likely buy one, try it and if it doesn't work either then I'll be driving down to Lightwater :thumb: Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom