W211 CD/Mp3 Changer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barneybeardsall

Car
C220CDi Exec SE Saloon.
Hi All,
I have a W211 fitted with a CD Changer under the command system and I have started to notice that the changer skips everynow and then...

Are these covered under the 3 year warranty... if not how do you remove the thing so I can clean the Laser..

Cheers
Paul

barneybeardsall said:
Hi All,
I have a W211 fitted with a CD Changer under the command system and I have started to notice that the changer skips everynow and then...

Are these covered under the 3 year warranty... if not how do you remove the thing so I can clean the Laser..

Cheers
Paul

My answer would be that if your vehicle still has the three year warranty then contact your local service department. Unless the jumping or skipping is caused by abuse, then I can see no reason why not?

Good luck,
John

I've got the same with my changer. Occassionally it will skip a fraction of a second on a track, but it's defintely not dirt or cratches causing it, almost a reading glitch in the electroinics, if you klnow what I mean.

On the list for the service ... together with the Comand 'resetting' itself on start up, and turning TA on when I want it off - permanently.

I have that TA resetting itself "on" all the time too - I thought it was just me not knowing how to set the default properly. Is this a known "fault" that can be cured? If so I will book it in to be fixed at the same time I get the SBC brake noise suppressor "fix" done...

Normally skipping is caused when the laser beam is not stong enough to reflect to the disk and read properly the information. It is normally caused by the use of cheap quality cdr media. However since your car is under warranty, you may as well go to the main dealer to replace your unit. I hope this helps.

My 211 CD Changer skips, too. I reported it but the dealer couldn't "reproduce the problem". No surprise there, then, since they would need to sit in the car for at least an hour to be sure of hearing it. It happens on any and every shop-bought CD (I have eliminated the possiblity of a duff CD).

It isn't too bad - just slighlty annoying. In the end, I put it down to cheap product and I guessed that a replacement would do the same. This thread would appear to confirm that view.

Please post how you get on, I may kick up enough fuss to get it changed if I thought a replacement unit performed better.

EDIT: It did it from new, so it is not a dirty laser.
Philip

prprandall51 said:
EDIT: It did it from new, so it is not a dirty laser.
Philip

Hi Philip,
Have you complained recently? DCUK have instructed all their dealerships to be more understanding towards 'quality control issues'. I totally accept different dealerships will interpret this in different ways, but my philosophy is if it isn't perfect, replace it.

Regards,
John

Hi John, the car was in a few weeks ago and the skipping CD was on the list. It was then that they phoned to say they couldn't reporduce the problem.

I decided to let it ride - it isn't that big an issue.

More irritatingly, they did not fix the rattle from the dash:mad:

Overall, though, this dealership was more committed to fixing the glitches than the first dealership I took it to, so I award MB Coventry 8 out of 10.

As to the CD, well, I have plenty of warranty time left so I will see how I get on.

Philip

prprandall51 said:
I decided to let it ride - it isn't that big an issue.

More irritatingly, they did not fix the rattle from the dash:mad:

Thanks very much indeed for the prompt reply. I totally agree with what your saying about the CD changer. If your happy with it, WHY get all worked up.

I hate with a vengeance ANY rattle and my car would be at the dealership in a heartbeat :eek: (but not a rattley type heartbeat)

I never travel in our 211 so I will have to mention this skipping me-larkey to the boss and see (hear) what she has to say.

Good luck with the annoying rattle,
John

If DCUK are reading this thread then "can't reproduce the fault" will change to "they all do that sir" :D

Yes mine has exactly the same symptoms but rare enough that it doesn't bother me (given my fault tolerance that does mean rare ;) ).

DieselE said:
If DCUK are reading this thread then "can't reproduce the fault" will change to "they all do that sir" :D

Yes mine has exactly the same symptoms but rare enough that it doesn't bother me (given my fault tolerance that does mean rare ;) ).

I think within reason that is how it should be happening. Obviously there will be owners trying to take advantage, but I can only talk about another of the other common glitch's. The very infrequent lazy folding mirror!!! This fault NEVER occured in the workshop, but a whole new system was installed.

I can sympathise with any workshop that tries to locate an intermittant fault, but once a customer complains two or at most three times then something should be done. This CD glitch appears to be only a minor irratation and I fully accept that it might not be worth the hassle.

The boss has just returned and has not noticed any problems with CD's but has passed the buck and recommends I ask my daughter :rolleyes: ;)

The 211 is by far the best Mercedes we have owned, it is easy to get carried away moaning about very minor niggles, but not see the grande picture. Would I swap my 211 for an R-class. Nope, thought about it, looked into it. No way.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom