w211 cdi's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by b21playa, Sep 3, 2008.

1. b21playa

b21playa Member

Hi all

New to the MB scene.

I am waiting for my car claim to settle before I buy another car but I was thinking about a e270 cdi.

What sort of mpg do people get?

I know it will most likely be auto, but I dont want it as bad as my last bmw 330d auto which used to do 23mpg around town, up to 42mpg on the motorway

Will prob have around £8k to buy a 03/04 270 cdi (I know it wont be low miles), but they cars are dropping in price

2. evdok

evdok Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
    You will be better off buying a 320 rather than 270:)

3. OP
    OP
    b21playa

b21playa Member

why is that?

4. davidH

davidH Active Member

Car:
    E270CDI Avantgarde
    I have a 2003 E270 CDI Avantgarde. Have got on several occasions 48 mpg on long motorway runs and over 30 in town. Exact mpg in town varies because of traffic. I chose the 270 over th 320 because it was cheaper to run and as far as I can see the difference in performance is not that much that it matters. It is plenty fast enough and has plenty of power on tap for safe overtaking. Insurance and tax are cheaper and in the reports in the car mags at the time the 270 was always recommended over the 320 as the one to go for. I don't see why you would be better off buying the 320!

5. Ratz

Ratz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    17 E350d in Senorite Grey
    As DavidH says mpg is pretty good. I average 37-40 in mixed driving(commuting into Manchester city centre, visiting relatives 50 miles away on motorway). This is very sensitive to how it's driven though, if you're booting all the time then you'll easily drop to late 20's. Also ambient temperature makes quite a difference, but then this is the same for all cars.

6. OP
    OP
    b21playa

b21playa Member

figures seem higher then my 330d.

Basically its either going to be a 520/530d manual or a w211 e270 auto

Need to see what has more interior room, and what my money will buy me

7. Maxi4

Maxi4 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Not an MB right now :(
    Hi,
    Mine's a S211, it does around 27-30 around town and will easily do 41-43 on the m'way. I've seen it go up to 47 when driven at 60.
    hope this helps.

8. OP
    OP
    b21playa

b21playa Member

Sounds gud.

Would think the w211 would do more then the s211 due to size/weight

I suppose budget will come into play and what I can get for my money. Its suprising how the value has dropped of these cars. 6 years old yet still look fantastic

My hire car, a 57 plate golf gt sport tdi (140) is giving me an average of 38mpg over 2000 miles. That been a mix of local and motorway driving, more local. Mainly used for going to work and back (10miles each way), and other odd short trips. Saying that it's probably low as I floor it if i'm running late.

I would prefer the e270 as they are cheaper to insure and road tax is cheaper.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  9. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    What about a E220cdi, the facelifted 220cdi engine has 170bhp, and MB of Glasgow told me they have a 57 plate ex management car for £20,500. The new 220cdi has the power of the old 270. I regularly see over 40mpg and gentle driving I can see 50mpg +

IMHO The 220cdi shouldn't be discounted from your search. Its not that much less powerful than the 280 and even the pre facelift ones like mine are fine. Its What Cars pick of the E class range.

10. Ratz

Ratz Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    17 E350d in Senorite Grey
    I had a 2008 E220 while my car was in for service and it actually feels more sprightly than mine, bit faster throttle response. Difficult to distinguish on oomph alone, I'd agree I would happily get a later 220.

11. st4

st4 Banned

Car:
    C220cdi tourer
    I've heard this about 270cdi's and actually Volvo D5's. It seems five cylinder diesel engines might not be the most responsive (talk of a 1 sec delay @ roundabouts etc).

Mine is really sprightly it has to be said, and once the Turbo kicks in the wheels can spin @ junctions :D (was used to really linear power delivery of petrol engines before).

12. timskemp

timskemp Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W213 E220d
    I find my 270 responsive enough, and much better than the lower power early 220. The new 220 is a bit more peaky, you can really feel when it comes on boost.

I'd echo the earlier reply though - get a 320. Town consumption is higher but on the motorway won't be much different and though it's not much on paper it feels like a much bigger mid-range kick than the others and much smoother than them.

13. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    530d Touring + ML270 Inspiration
    Or save the money and get a petrol, they are far cheaper for the same age/mileage and the difference is hardly anything the way costs are.

My old man had a 52 plate E270cdi W211, he used to get around 28-30mpg from it when going round town, when on a run he used to see around 40mpg if taking it easy.
    I have just picked up an E320 petrol and I am getting 26mpg nipping round and about and 35mpg on a run.

With Petrol costing 13p more a litre round here there is very little in it, so you have got to really want a diesel, so much more to go wrong, not like the old diesels that are bullet proof any more.

On a new car then derv every time as you have to take depreciation into account, but buying something for £8k you should look at a petrol as well.

Diesels are great if you do lots of 20+ mile journeys, but for those that don't and do loads of sub 10 mile journeys they are terrible as they never get to temp and use loads of juice.

14. Carrotchomper

Carrotchomper Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A8 4.2 Quattro
    Diesel v. petrol... Here we go again!

I have to say that I really like the driving characteristics of a large-ish diesel engine over a similar petrol one....

As you were!

15. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    I would first off sort out what car you like the look of be that BMW or E-class. I would then test drive the various models to see what engine I really liked as in my opinion the fuel economy is minimal and unless you are doing extremely high mileage then the savings are pretty small. The 270 engine is very nice but the 320 diesel is so much smoother and in my opinion slightly quieter.

You pay your money and take your choices but do not buy the cheapest car on the bloke as that cheap car might turn out to be a very expensive bargain :eek: :)

Happy hunting,

Regards
    John

16. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    :D

Haha, sorry, I haven't been on here for a while, didn't realise it was a taboo subjuect.

17. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    How can that be when a petrol uses 4 x more fuel when cold.?

18. gIzzE

gIzzE MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Because a petrol gets to temp far quicker.

My experiences with various cars round town, all autos...

530d vs 530i = 29mpg vs 26mpg

E270cdi vs E320 = 29mpg vs 25mpg

535d vs 335i = 26mpg vs 26mpg

320d vs 330i = 32mpg vs 27mpg

So hardly sod all in it between the petrols and diesels.

The 320d is a perfect example, my old commute was 3 miles through suburbs with 3 roundabouts and 3 sets of lights followed by on junction waiting to get onto a busy road, then 6 miles down the A11 and another mile through town.
    The car would not get over 26mpg doing this run. Even my A6 tdi avant multitronic or the 2.5tdi A4 avant would not break the 30mpg barrier either. However, if I had been using the car and it was up to temperature before setting off the 320d would see 35mpg and the Audis closer to 40mpg.

Reset the diesel when it is up to temp and cruise at 70mph and the figures are great. I always used to do this and be very impressed with it, then stopped mpg watching and managed to go 8000 miles without resetting it and realised that maybe the figures were not as good as I first thought.

I always tend to get pretty close to the urban official figures with a diesel, but with a petrol it tends to be closer to the combined figure.
    I currently have an Efficient Dynamics 320d and that is the only car that I have managed to get over the combined figure on a long run, without it having 100k+ miles on it already. But even that on short 10 miles journeys is pretty poor for a 2.0litre diesel imho.

19. DieselE

DieselE Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W211 E320CDi
    The W211 will win the comparison on interior room.

If your main usage involves journeys of 10 miles in local traffic then you are never going to achieve the best fuel consumption. If you want the comfort and style then go for the E Class. Otherwise you should be looking at an A Class or similar.

In winter my E320CDI takes up to twelve miles to warm up fully. As the E270CDI has one less cylinder (therefore less engine mass) it will probably warm up faster but large saloons are not the best choice for local driving.

Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it. :)

20. OP
    OP
    b21playa

b21playa Member

Thats why Im thinking of a 520d manual, I had a 320d manual ad used to get 42mpg locally.

I probably would not use the car as much as I do now due to what I use it for. currently doing te house up so I throw anything in the car, bricks, cement, wood, etc - would not be doing this to the next car, so main journey's will be work and back, any work mileage (always motorway miles), and visiting friends/relatives (locally)

I think the w211 wins on class and looking prestige, but I like the look of the e60 5er, and may suit be better being only 24

When I get a chance I will have to go and see a few

Tags: