W211 - Climate Control Unit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex Argent

Car
E250 CDi Sport Auto
Hi All

Long time since I last posted on here.....apart from a bit of advice given to a member a couple of days back.

Work, work, work :rolleyes:

The C320 has finally gone. Lovely car, available boot space useless with a baby!

I'm now the proud owner of a 2006 W211 Elegance Saloon :rock:

It's in tip-top condition despite a few miles, but is fairly basic in terms of having not a lot of factory-fitted extras. Therefore, lots and lots of mod's to come over next few months :bannana:

One of the first that I'm looking at will be fitting a digital climate control module, part # A211 830 23 90. Does anybody know if this is a straight swap and any other ramifications of changing? I seem to recall on these pages that the W203 upgrade (which I never got around to doing) needed 'STAR' programming.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any input,

Regards,

Alex

PS: Already got the shiny pedals fitted, and a club vinyl, and even the Polo shirt :thumb:

Hi Alex,

congrats - nice car! I investigated the same change and I believe it can be a straight swap, although I'm open to correction.

As I recall, there was some mention of calibration being required to ensure the right orientation of various bits and pieces, but I can't say for sure if this requires STAR coding or otherwise.

Two oft-recommended sources of retro-fit info are COMANDOnliine.co.uk and mbenznl.com - I've had work done by both and can heartily recommend both.

Go on, spill the beans - what other mods have you planned?

Just being nosy, fast eddie, but may I ask what MBenzNL did for you & was this by post, or did you ship your car there? I have heard they are very good & can do just about anything.

Hi,

Alfie and Richard from ComandOnline fitted the COMAND system (instead of the factory-fit Audio 20) plus the iPod kit. They also did some nice things to the instrument cluster - activating tyre pressure monitoring for one.

Subsequently Steve from MBenzNL fitted linguatronic on a hit-and-run visit to Dublin - I work close to the airport so it was a relatively simple couple-of-hours job. Steve also did some very clever coding stuff on the instrument cluster (litres remaining, day and date display, etc). He also coded up the auto-fold and memory settings for reverse-dipping on the folding mirrors which I had retro-fitted myself but could not code due to no STAR...

I'm not sure if Steve is travelling as much now as he has done in the past, but there's no harm in asking!

I couldn't fault either company in fairness to them, nice blokes all and they clearly love what they do, which always helps.

Cheers,
Eddie

PS I pulled out all the stops and did the AMG pedals upgrade all on my own, no grown-up help!! Mind you the accelerator is a bit of a swine...

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got the mirrors sorted Eddie .

Anyone know what the equivalent part number to A211 830 23 90 is for a (2001) W203? - I'm looking to do this too.
I've just completed the COMAND retrofit using the loom adapter and GPS aerial from Command Online Ltd and, once I'd figured it shows the satellites detected on the map screen (thanks to you guys on here), to make sure I'd got the aerial working, was pretty much plain sailing.

One of the first that I'm looking at will be fitting a digital climate control module, part # A211 830 23 90. Does anybody know if this is a straight swap and any other ramifications of changing? I seem to recall on these pages that the W203 upgrade (which I never got around to doing) needed 'STAR' programming.

Hi, there, I did it myself a few months ago. I did that in about 15 minutes. PM me and I'll send you the necessary steps.

Hi, there, I did it myself a few months ago. I did that in about 15 minutes. PM me and I'll send you the necessary steps.

This sounds interesting - any chance of you posting an "How To" on this forum so others could benefit? Would be way cool man! :cool:

This sounds interesting - any chance of you posting an "How To" on this forum so others could benefit? Would be way cool man! :cool:

Absolutely. I cannot post the copy right protected Daimler AG instructions officially that's why I said PM me and leave your eMail address that can handle larger pdfs.

I'll do a write up tomorrow including some pictures.

Absolutely. I cannot post the copy right protected Daimler AG instructions officially that's why I said PM me and leave your eMail address that can handle larger pdfs.

I'll do a write up tomorrow including some pictures.

That would rock :rock:

Can't PM on this forum until you have 30 posts but if you have this kind of information/knowledge to share then I'm sure 30 posts will be a breeze!

That would rock :rock:

Can't PM on this forum until you have 30 posts but if you have this kind of information/knowledge to share then I'm sure 30 posts will be a breeze!

Well this one would be the 20th post and counting :) I don't wanna spam now for this reason but I'm active in a few other threads on this board. So we will see that we get the 30 together.

Write Up - Climate Control Replacement:

Note: I'm explaining this on a left hand car (US).

What you need:
- Different Torx screw driver
- Flat head screw driver
- Flash light (optional)

1.) Use first picture as reference:
First step is to remove the longer wooden trim from the dash board. To do this use a very small flat head screw driver and go underneath the wood trim right above the ignition key (arrow). It is easier done when one pushes the screw driver in from a downward position ("into the rubber") and then push the screwdriver down to pry trim out. Be careful. Nothing can really happen but this makes sounds like something will break.

When the wood trim came out you can use some force but with caution and push the wood trim outward toward the passenger door. Make sure the door is a bit open or you might scratch the inside of the door. There are a total of 5 clips to hold the wood trim in place.

2.) Use second picture as reference:
First use the flat head screw driver and push the 2 flaps down (screwdriver up). Once both flaps are pushed down you can slide the entire loudspeaker cover up towards the windshield and remove it.

Tip: Push down first one side and hold this side of the cover up a finger or two. Then push down the other side and hold both sides up a little bit so the flaps don't go back in and secure the cover again.

3.) Use second picture as reference:
Remove both screws that hold center speaker in place. Be careful to not damage the speaker membrane.

Then remove 2 screws that hold control and operating unit in dash. Remove control and operating unit from instrument panel together with center air outlet until electrical connectors are accessible. Be careful not to rip a cable out.

Once all 3 cable sets are unplugged you can remove the complete unit and turn it upside down. There are a total of 9 little screws that hold the Climate Control Unit in place. Remove them and swap the unit.

Put everything back together in reverse order and you are good to go.

NOTE: If you don't have 4-Zone Climate Package the passenger side fan control wheel will not work. Also rear control will not work.

Attachments

• 01 Trim Removal.jpg
    01 Trim Removal.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 167
  • 02 Loudspeaker Cover Removal.jpg
    02 Loudspeaker Cover Removal.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 164
One of the first that I'm looking at will be fitting a digital climate control module,

^^are they not all digital???
what is in place instead? what type of unit do you have for the rear vents?
I will have a peek at some cars on auto trader for some interior shots...you've got me baffled!!!

Last edited:
I don't have anything in the rear. I just leave the generated errors bc of the missing actuator motors. You really don't gain anything except the way better look and some cool diagnostic information which one can display. I will post some goodies later when I'm home. Have to enjoy the day outside at almost 30 degrees celsius :)

Here are the promised A/C and COMAND diagnostic trouble codes with explanation.

Attachments

• COMAND and AC Trouble Codes.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 82
Perhaps a moderator can move my Write Up over to the How To section???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom