W211 climate display goes blank on demist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calum

Car
2005 W169 A150
hi all, just noted an oddity: on my W211, with the "luxury" climate (Thermatronic, I think?) I've just realised that the climate display panel goes completely blank when I select the demist option. That's the front "air" demist, not the rear "wires" demist (which doesn't cause this).

Is this what's supposed to happen? The demist seems to work fine, but the blank panel looks odd. My CLK didn't do this (also Thermatronic), although that was the LCD panel system, quite different to the new climate option.

Anyone else confirm/deny this, please? ta.

from memory I'm sure mine does this too.

thanks; seems odd though. I'll query the reason with the dealer when it goes in for the recall dibbling on Thurs. I'm getting a Smart as a loan car, which should be amusing :)

calum said:
hi all, just noted an oddity: on my W211, with the "luxury" climate (Thermatronic, I think?) I've just realised that the climate display panel goes completely blank when I select the demist option. That's the front "air" demist, not the rear "wires" demist (which doesn't cause this).

Hi Calum,
From memory Thermotronic is another of Mercedes-Benz 'cut-backs' I am going to get my son to check out what our system does. On page 194 of our manual it shows the controls for the 4-zone Thermotronic system and button # 2 is the Demist for windows. Is this the button that is causing the screen to go blank.

I have deliberately listed the reference page, because I think newer cars have fewer options and thus thinner manuals?

Number one son is off to push button number two.

Bad news I'm afraid. Pressing the front de-mist button immediately causes a blast of air up onto the screen and a yellow light illuminates on the switch, but the climate control screen stays illuminated with the front temperatures still being displayed.

Our vehicle is a 211 January 04 build

Regards,
John

hi John, thanks for the reply
glojo said:
On page 194 of our manual it shows the controls for the 4-zone Thermotronic system and button # 2 is the Demist for windows. Is this the button that is causing the screen to go blank.
that's right, yes.

glojo said:
Bad news I'm afraid. Pressing the front de-mist button immediately causes a blast of air up onto the screen and a yellow light illuminates on the switch, but the climate control screen stays illuminated with the front temperatures still being displayed.
bugger :(

I'll query it. thanks again

SportsCoupeRich said:
john - you are going to give your kids complexes if you refer to one of them as 'number 1' all the time ;)

It is simply easier than trying to remember all the different names :D
I suppose it might embarrass him if I ask if he is one!!!

Calum,
If your dealer queries what I have posted then I will willingly send you a picture with the demist light illuminated and the climate controls being displayed.

Regards
John

glojo said:
If your dealer queries what I have posted then I will willingly send you a picture with the demist light illuminated and the climate controls being displayed.
thanks John; out of interest, does anything on the display change, or just the light on the button? ta.

calum said:
thanks John; out of interest, does anything on the display change, or just the light on the button? ta.

:D :D I'll get number one ;) son to check. (Number one daughter has just got back from the beach and is 'slightly red' :cool: )

Back in a minute.......

The most noticeable things are:

The 'Auto' icon goes out
The speed graduation bars go to maximum

Clearly if the screen went blank there would be nothing shown. Sounds to me like there is a problem.

Regards
John

glojo said:
The 'Auto' icon goes out
The speed graduation bars go to maximum
yup, that's exactly what happened on my CLK's LCD climate panel, and what I'd expected here.
thanks; will definitely report it.

Nope don't report it. John has a more advanced version of the climate control that inclucdes a charcoal filter amongst other bits. I have the 4 zone climate control - but without the charcoal filter. When I press the front demist button - the whole display goes blank apart from the yellow light. My business partner has the same car - her's does the same.

Yours is just fine.

saorbust said:
Nope don't report it. John has a more advanced version of the climate control that inclucdes a charcoal filter amongst other bits..

;) ;) And I told Uncle Juergen to treat me just as any normal down trodden customer.

Sorry if I have caused any confusion. I understand what Saorbust is saying though hence my mention of build dates. So this goes on the list of 'missing' features.

It still seems weird though, newer vehicles getting less features for your hard earnt pfennings ;) I am certainly not disagreeing because I quite simply do not know.

John

saorbust said:
Nope don't report it....
Yours is just fine.
Right, thanks. Very belatedly, it occurred to me to try it in my wife's A150 and, sure enough, the same behaviour there.
I'll be sure to ask the dealers why this change was made, since I'm fascinated to work out how this can save them money :)

thanks chaps.

calum said:
Right, thanks. Very belatedly, it occurred to me to try it in my wife's A150 and, sure enough, the same behaviour there.
I'll be sure to ask the dealers why this change was made, since I'm fascinated to work out how this can save them money :)

thanks chaps.

Perhaps it's a cunning ploy to get you into the dealership.

It certainly seems crazy,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom