W211 Coolant/Water temp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bakili

Car
Mercedes E320 CDI W211
Hey guys, just fetched home my w211 e320cdi, love love love it :bannana:
Cant believe it I had Merc on my ignore list, after 9 years driving and 18 cars, i think i got finally proper car.

Just quick question ref coolant/water temp indicator on dash, it never went past 50c mark. i did about 40 min motorway driving and it sat on 50c. Is it normal?

No - definitely not! Either the temperature gauge, temperature sender, or thermostat is faulty. Feel the radiator after a drive, if it's HOT to the touch - well, that would suggest it's getting over 50 degrees C. Not a foolproof test, but a good start!

Thanks for reply, i will get issue addressed asap.
Will it harm driving like this until it get booked to garage and repaired?

Thanks guys
Very helpful forum
:thumb:

should run at 92C - so appears to be correct - you will notice a marked improvement in mpg on longer runs

The gauge sat on mark between 80 and 120, is it reading 92c
Just worried might be 100

if it niggles you xx buy a cheap digital thermometer with the sensor in the tip - less than £15 off fleabay - make sure it covers the range u want

The gauge sat on mark between 80 and 120, is it reading 92c
Just worried might be 100

That is about right. It is a segmental bar display so more of an indication than an accurate reading.

There is a coolant warning light next to it. When that lights up then you start worrying because the engine is starting to overheat and/or coolant level is low.

If it starts beeping at you as well then you can really worry because that means the coolant temperature has reached 125C or above

Thanks for reply guys,
No it does not niggles me, just not sure where temp mark should be.

Here is picture,

Is it right or should be lower?
No lights lights up or warning on dash

Last edited:
Perfect same as mine after stat change. Now you will get up to 5mpg more!
Don

Another 5mpg :eek:
I am so far very pleased with fuel economy.
With faulty thermostat i did get on 40min motorway journey 48.7 mpg :D

Ordered new gel battery as the one fitted in car I believe wrong type battery. I get battery protection, convenience function temporarily unavailable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom