W211 dash cam

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
Who has one and how have you mounted and wired it? I want to wire it in but only so that it comes on when the car is on.

Yep I have one. I took the lazy way out and tucked the wire under the trim from the top of the screen down the n/s pillar behind the glove box and under the transmission tunnel. I have about 6" of lead showing where it plugs into the cigarette lighter.
It only starts when the ignition is on. The camera is mounted on the screen behind the rear view mirror and I can't see it from the drivers seat.

Thanks Roger. Is it connected to the 12v accessory connector? Id like it out of the way, preferably into the glovebox for the power

Which camera do you have btw?

Just a cheap one I got through Groupon.About £20 and perfect so far. Even night vision is reasonable. I'll see if I can find the brand and model tomorrow. Mine still has the 12v cigarette lighter plug on the end so it goes in there.

If you run the cable down the right hand doorpillar you can go into the fuse box on the side of the dash and connect to a fused output in there.
I've got a wiring diagram of those fuses if you want them emailed to you.
PM me if you do.

I have a Nextbase camera in my W211.

Camera sits to the left of the rear view mirror. Wire is run behind the plastic trim, up along the headlining (tucks in easily), then down the A pillar. The only bit of wiring you can see is along the side of the dash (few inches max) then tucks into the side of the dash that you can pop out.

That then gives access to the fuses. I then used one of the fuse kits....

Nextbase Dash Cam Hardwire Kit In Car Camera Plug And Play Set Power Supply | eBay

Which you use to piggy back off a live fuse and no need to use the 12v power socket. :thumb:

I have one too. I took it to my Indie and he wired it in so it only comes on when the ignition is on. Haven't looked at any footage yet as I can't quite work out how to do it.

I bought a Nextbase 312G from Halfords. £99 now I also paid about £40 for a memory card and hardwired so it switches on and off with the ignition. It works just fine.

Thanks guys, I might look at the Nextbase.

Who has one and how have you mounted and wired it? I want to wire it in but only so that it comes on when the car is on.
Hi I have a 2009 E320 and have hard wired my dash cam, this is not too different to do, this is how I did the job. First pop off the fuse cover at the drivers side of the dash, next tuck the power feed wire up under the edge of the head lining above the windscreen, then down the edge of the A pillar next to the windscreen. Put the gearstick into drive, then open the front storage draw, then pull up on the front edge of the gear surround, and leave it in this position for now. There are two screws that hold the storage draw in place, remove these, with a small flat screwdriver lever back the two plastic tabs (carefully) then lift out the draw complete with the power socket (this is only live when the ignition is on). Find yourself a length of flat plastic parcel bounding tape (the type you get around a fairly heavy parcel), pass this from the draw opening up through the trim into the cavity of the dashboard coming out where the fuses are. Pull in a length of red wire with the tape, using a wire tap connector connect this to the power socket +v feed.
Next using a 3amp in line fuse connect the other end

Thanks guys, I might look at the Nextbase.

Lool up the Yi dashcam. £40. Exceptional picture quality, has wifi and a good app so you can download vid straight to your phone

i have a blackview 650 2ch cost £300 new(has two cameras) £40 ish for a new memory card,wired through a battery monitor thing (cant remember whats it called) so i can stay on when its parked so if its setup right if you get a ' bump' in the car park it should record it

I have a Nextbase camera in my W211.

Camera sits to the left of the rear view mirror. Wire is run behind the plastic trim, up along the headlining (tucks in easily), then down the A pillar. The only bit of wiring you can see is along the side of the dash (few inches max) then tucks into the side of the dash that you can pop out.

That then gives access to the fuses. I then used one of the fuse kits....

Nextbase Dash Cam Hardwire Kit In Car Camera Plug And Play Set Power Supply | eBay

Which you use to piggy back off a live fuse and no need to use the 12v power socket. :thumb:

I’ve just ordered another dashcam and the above linked kit for my E class. Unlike my CLK there are no usb sockets in the glovebox so I’ll need to tap into the fuses (I don’t want to use the cig)

So I assume mount to the left of the RVM, wire around the right hand side, through right a pillar and down into drivers side fuse box?

Any recommendation on which fuse to tap into?

Cheers

I now have a Nextbase 512GW in my 211. I tried a cheaper camera at first, but found that the quality really deteriorated when not in bright sunlight, so I sent it back and bought the Nextbase, which is excellent quality. It's wired from an always live supply, but turns itself off when no movement is detected - that aspect seems to work just fine.

I’ve just ordered another dashcam and the above linked kit for my E class. Unlike my CLK there are no usb sockets in the glovebox so I’ll need to tap into the fuses (I don’t want to use the cig)

So I assume mount to the left of the RVM, wire around the right hand side, through right a pillar and down into drivers side fuse box?

Any recommendation on which fuse to tap into?

Cheers

That's exactly it. Camera is just to the left of the rear view mirror, cable tucked in along the head liner and down the A pillar. Only a short bit of cable exposed as it tucks round and into the side of the dash.

In terms of fuze, I never did quite get the right one to turn on and off with the ignition but does mean I can leave the camera on when I park up should I choose.

I have used a road hawk dash cam for last 10 years running off the cigar lighter, I didn’t realise you could just piggy back off a fuse to hard wire it, I thought it needed to be properly wired in.

Anyone with the Nextbase hardwire kit in the W211, can you advise which fuse you used on the board and where you grounded it.

Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom