W211 dipstick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Took both engine covers off my 320Cdi this morning to investigate a diesel smell that has developed recently. Sure enough, very slight weep from the frontmost union joint off the common rail anf also third one back. No big problem, but off to the stealers it goes.

Noticed that there is what looked remarkably like a dipstick tube, with red pull off cap, on nearside of engine. This runs down into the sump. Pulled cap off (O ring seal) and whiff of engine oil. ("By Heavens, Holmes, what do you think it could be??")

Does anyone know if there is a dipstick available? I really do not like relying on a oil level sensor which seems to be a source of uncertainty and sometimes misery.

Satch said:
Took both engine covers off my 320Cdi this morning to investigate a diesel smell that has developed recently. Sure enough, very slight weep from the frontmost union joint off the common rail anf also third one back. No big problem, but off to the stealers it goes.

Noticed that there is what looked remarkably like a dipstick tube, with red pull off cap, on nearside of engine. This runs down into the sump. Pulled cap off (O ring seal) and whiff of engine oil. ("By Heavens, Holmes, what do you think it could be??")

Does anyone know if there is a dipstick available? I really do not like relying on a oil level sensor which seems to be a source of uncertainty and sometimes misery.

The mobilo guy that came to drain the oil out of one of our cars after a service said they carried a dipstick ... so there is one avalible.

The dipstick will be oversized as it is meant to be used with entire model range. It's also meant to be used as a workshop item so you wouldn't be able to store it in the dip tube, it'd have to live in your garage. They should be freely available but I am sure I have read posts where people have had difficulty in obtaining them as their particular stealership argued they would only sell to the items to the motor trade and not MB owning Joe public. Try a forum search on 'dipstick' should throw up a few past posts on the matter.

*EDIT* I've just realised that the info I have posted is for the electronic box auto gearbox oil dipstick :eek: I presume the the engine oil dipstick is the same for the modern Benzes where they are not provided. I must confess I get the best of both worlds on my W202, I can check the engine oil level from the dash when lazy and also check the dipstick too when I want confirmation.

S.

Last edited:
having said all this ... should the oil sensor fail and you have a full service history. im sure the warranty will cover any damage...

Hi!
Can anyone help me aquire the gearbox dipstick for my e220 cdi 2004 as Mercedes will not sell me one!!

Go to a different dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom