W211 - does it really need AGM battery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

horatio

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK, 190E
Facelift E220CDI - it's still on its original battery 9 years later and I can feel it's getting a bit weak on start up. It's an AGM.

Question is, does it really need an AGM or will a correct spec/good brand normal battery be ok?

It seems a bit overkill on a 4 cylinder without stop start and they are bloody expensive.

Yes it needs an AGM battery- unless you know better than the Mercedes guys who designed the electronic systems of your car. ;) Don't skimp on the spec/size either. If this new one lasts 9 years its a bargain. That said ---shop around for the best deal that meets the spec -----Varta would be my make of choice.

ps why anyone would skimp on a battery in todays electronic laden cars defeats me.:confused:

Last edited:
As grober says, don't skimp on this critical service item

Also check with your MB dealer, often very competitive on cost

Yes it needs an AGM battery- unless you know better than the Mercedes guys who designed the electronic systems of your car. ;) :

Admittedly I do not but I reckon I am least a match with my knowledge of rust-proofing. I have a tin of hammerite in my shed and some of the instructions are still readable :cool:

Found an AGM Varta for under £150 delivered on the ebay, this should do the job?

G14 Varta 017 019 AGM 12V Car Battery - Iveco Jaguar Jeep Land Rover Mercedes e | eBay

They are really worth the extra.

I've got A005 541 10 01 - 95AH 850CCA which is a popular MB fitment, on my E55 & W126. More than adequate capacity and holds charge really well as my W126 does not get used very often.

Admittedly I do not but I reckon I am least a match with my knowledge of rust-proofing. I have a tin of hammerite in my shed and some of the instructions are still readable :cool:

Found an AGM Varta for under £150 delivered on the ebay, this should do the job?

G14 Varta 017 019 AGM 12V Car Battery - Iveco Jaguar Jeep Land Rover Mercedes e | eBay

https://www.tayna.co.uk/019-Enduroline-Car-Battery-950CCA-P8385.html

I previously bought from this place for my old Range Rover. Varta was about £83 delivered.

I bought a MB battery from my local indy £140 fitted FOC.

Hi,
My CLS55 has the same/similar two battery system as the 211, and I thought the battery in the boot was AGM, but it isn't.
It did come with one up to a certain chassis break point and from that point on they became a normal lead acid.
If this is the case for the 219 it might be the same for the 211, my recommendation is to check with your dealer to which type your car should have.

One of the problems with switching from an AGM to a "normal battery" is the charging voltage requirements are different. The charging system will have been set at a slightly higher voltage to suit the AGM which might shorten the life of a normal wet cell battery.

Never known a 211 to require an AGM battery. It's not a start stop car.

It's simple---- if the car still has its original factory battery just get a direct replacement which has the same spec. If its AGM get an AGM if its lead acid get lead acid

The owner's handbook for the 2007 E Class states depending on the actual build date the car may be fitted with an AGM battery and should be replaced like for like

Try ECP, Bosch agm is £140 after forum discount code applied.

My old W211 E55 did not have a AGM battery fitted, replaced with this Varta H3 Silver Dynamic...with 5yr guarantee:thumb: I think MB offer 2 years:confused:

Varta Silver Dynamic H3 Car Battery

I would test and double check your battery spec before replacing...

Last edited:
Varta AGM fitted and it starts more vigorously now.

Managed to get my old glow plugs out without issue as well this eve. I think I deserve a beer!

Its also worth having a good battery charger in the 'tool box'. I have a Ctek unit widely regarded as the best of the bunch and they will recharge almost any 12v battery, lead acid, AGM, gell, completely automatic and can be left connected if its not a daily driver. I understand that if you buy a Mercedes-Benz battery charger its a re-branded Ctek. Popular with veteran, vintage, Ferrari, Lambo, Harley Davidson owners. The Marine lot like them too and a flat battery on a boat can be a tad more inconvenient...

I got one some years ago to charge a caravan leisure battery but use it 4-6 times a year to ensure the car battery is charged to 100%.

Given the choice, if I was undertaking a planned battery change I'd bring the new battery to 100% charge before fitting.

My 2004 S211 had an AGM fitted as original. Only in the last few days have I fitted an AGM replacement. The car electronics thank me every day! Seriously, if set up for AGM, the system will slowly kill a wet battery - this why I had to do the change. Got an Enduroline 019 AGM from Tayna, £115 delivered. Very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom